Need help getting started.

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_hung
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_hung

Hey there everyone, i've been browsing these boards on and off for quite some time now.
I came across this website in my search for a routine with a decent theory behind it for the speediest way to gain muscle and muscle definition.

After spending hours on end, browsing the various informative posts i'd be psyched to go workout. Which i would for about a week before i'd lose motivation.

But now i want to get serious about working out.
I want to get a solid routine going so as to not get sidetracked.

My main concerns/questions are;
Diet
What sort of diet should i be following?
As in what types of foods should i be eating.
When i should eat them etc.
This includes supplements of any sort.

Timing
When would be the best time to workout?
I know it's different for each individual, so how would i go about finding this out?
How much sleep should i be getting?

The workout itself
How do i go about finding my Rep Maximums?
How do i choose which exercises i should do for each body part? I don't have any injuries that would rule out any type of exercise as far as i know.

Where
I have a bench at home along with a few other weight related stuff which i have been using. I'm thinking this amount of equipment isn't enough for a full body workout. So should i be going to a gym instead?
is ther a difference between the more expensive gyms and the cheaper ones?

Misc
Should i invest in a personal trainer?

Some info about myself
Note: I'm from Australia heh so we use metrics.

Turning 20 this year.
172cm (5ft 7"?)
70kg (140 pounds?)

I hope i get get some informative feedback so i can get started ASAP.

Thanks in advance, Hung.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Diet
What sort of diet should i be following?
As in what types of foods should i be eating.
When i should eat them etc.
This includes supplements of any sort.</div>

Do you want to bulk or cut weight? The foods you should be protein dense regardless of the kilocalories. You will need a good source of carbs before your workout too. As far as supplements are concerned, you can try creatine if you need some extra temporary strength - take 5g/day.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Timing
I know it's different for each individual, so how would i go about finding this out?
How much sleep should i be getting?</div>

Whenever you have the time and after some carb/protein intake. For all intensive purposes, time of the day really does not matter. 7 &lt; Sleep &lt; 10 hours... your body needs the rest, so let 1/3 of your life be in the bed.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The workout itself
How do i go about finding my Rep Maximums?
How do i choose which exercises i should do for each body part? I don't have any injuries that would rule out any type of exercise as far as i know.</div>

Unless you already know them, I suggest taking 3 days out of a week to test your 15,10,5RM's, and then SD. Stick to exercises such as these...

Squats, Deadlifts, Chins, Dips, Military Press, Bench Press, Lateral Raises, Lateral Pulldowns, Leg Press, Hyperextensions, Rows, Calf Raises, and an Ab/Oblique exercise or routine of your choice.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Where
I have a bench at home along with a few other weight related stuff which i have been using. I'm thinking this amount of equipment isn't enough for a full body workout. So should i be going to a gym instead?
is ther a difference between the more expensive gyms and the cheaper ones?</div>

It depends on the exercises you select.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Misc
Should i invest in a personal trainer?</div>

You are 20... NO. You do not have any injuries or special concerns to deal with. You are you own trainer. You have the HST principals and this forum for input... just go eat and lift. I hope this has all helped!

-Colby

Also, I am not sure if you read them or not... check out the FAQ's sub-forum which is right under the HST sub-forum.

Colby,

The detailed response and info that you offered to a guy who appears to be a newbie (like myself) is exactly what i love about this forum. I have had so many really great replies here. I am so happy that i found this forum!

I speak for the newbies when i say thanks to you and so many of the others who are so willing to share information with people who are interested in improving themselves.

I look forward to learning enough that i can offer advice at some point as well.

Thanks Again,

Runjor

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do you want to bulk or cut weight? The foods you should be protein dense regardless of the kilocalories. You will need a good source of carbs before your workout too. As far as supplements are concerned, you can try creatine if you need some extra temporary strength - take 5g/day.</div>

Right now i consider myself average size, so i'd say i'm intending to bulk up. What sort of food would be protein dense? And as for carbs, what sort of food there?

Welocme hung

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Timing
How much sleep should i be getting?</div>

I have read somewhere that this depends on the type of person you are, it is somewhat objective and has to do with the time of the day your strength levels are best.

I relate to this somewhat as I feel my strength levels are best later in the day, definitely not early in the morning.

Anyway the article says if you are a morning person you should workout early in the morning, else you should workout later in the day, ther is some in-betweeners but who cares? Colby's opinion is pretty valuable, specially in this day and age and if you are the working type, fit it in whenever you can.

Exercises:

Squats alternate with Deadlifts
Bench press with dips
Chin ups with bent over rows
Military press with lateral and bent over raises
Some ab work of your own.

Do this 3 x week, 15 reps 2 weeks, then 10 x 2 weeks, then 5 x 2 weeks or 4 weeks if you don't do negatives.

Good luck
biggrin.gif

Many thanks for the valuable responses.

After absorbing all this information, it comes down to one thing.

Is there a website of some sort where i can read up on what these exercises are? As in how they are performed properly?

Most of these terms are new to me.

Just did some research on mentioned exercises. Some look easy enough to do, though some variations i couldn't find.

Do you guys have any recommendations on ab/oblique exercises? Maybe something you found worked well?

Ah, awesome. Thanks for the help =)
Now to find a gym, sign up, prepare food and all that.
Hope things go well.

Just another question.

Do you guys train with a partner or solo?
Most people i know round here train with a partner.

To me it just seems easier with a partner, keep eachother motivated.

Partner is a good thing when there is one, unfortunately they came and go, if there is one, then negatives can be done, if not one has to adapt, some of the lifts have to be less, other techniques applied but we keep going!
wink.gif

<div>
(hung @ Feb. 09 2007,08:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do you guys train with a partner or solo?
Most people i know round here train with a partner.

To me it just seems easier with a partner, keep eachother motivated.</div>
If you can find a reliable training partner - go ahead. Just be prepared for him to quit on you somewhere along the way. Once you start making gains, you should want to train with or without a partner. Sometimes having a partner helps with those first few months where you need the motivation.

FWIW - I've probably been through close to 20 partners in my 30+ yrs of training. I've trained the last 5 or so alone. It's not a big deal - if you train the same time you see the same people in the gym and develop relationships. You spot them, they spot you, you miss a workout and they ask you &quot;Didn't see you on Wednesday - thought maybe you reached your goals&quot;.
cool.gif

Good Luck
Firm

Hm. Website not working well again...
Self-motivation is a learned aspect over time. It is going to be pretty valuable on those days when your partner doesn't show, you're late, you're tired, sniffling, sore, and in a bad mood.
If you still show up; you're self-motivated.

&quot;I'm just here to kick my butt!&quot;
biggrin.gif

Back