need some help

sidewayzisbest

Well im in the desert right now and looking for a good workout routine( never did one like this more just the normal bi's/back etc.) I did try this one time but for only a couple days due to workout partner talked me into something else. I found my max's and took my rest and my protein just got in so im ready to go.

i was gonna follow one of the other guys routines i saw while searching this forum but with a few tweeks

12/10/8/5's

Squats M, W Alt Deadlifts F
Leg Curls M,W,F
ABs M, W, F
Wieghted Dips M,W,F
Incline Bench M,W,F
Military Press M,W Alt (cant think of name pull barbell to neck and back down) on F
Dumbell Shrugs M,W,F
Wide Grip Pull ups M,W,F
Tricip Pull downs M Alt Skull Crushers F
Bicep Curls M, W

Diet wise
Wake up around 400 PM
Eat a nice size portion of tuna and wheat bread/saltines
If not protein shake when i get to work at 500PM(over a mile walk in crazy heat so i wait till work before i drink milk)
eat around 730pm
snack/protein shake at 10
eat around 12am
snack/protein shake at 3am
work out at 7am
protein shake after or just breakfast on non work out days
then sleep

drink about 5-6 liters of water/gatorade a day , im taking 100% whey , No Xplode , Nitrix(buddy gave to me), also have a new bottle of Wieght Gain(again buddy gave). No sodas/cokes besides ocassional 8oz energy drink. Pretty clean not the cleaness but def better then before.

We see this so often.
a.) leg curls after deads or squats is redundant. You're taking energy from the rest of your workout with muscles that just got worked hard.
b.) I'd move abs to the end of the workout for energy reasons listed above.
c.) When you get into the heavier weights and low reps, you may wish to reduce exersizes to hit the main compounds harder. As always, we recommend you read the "simplify and win" thread, at least the first 3 pages or so.
d.) DB's are okay for a while for shrugs. I find it hard to find any that weigh 250 lbs. though. Shrug hard. But not on deadlift days.
e.) Your morning fasted state walk may be controversial; I don't know if that qualifies as fasted state cardio or not, but beware of catabolism there and before your workout. You have four hours gastric emptying before it; I'd be hitting a carb/protein shake before the workout, sipping it throughout it.
f.) Nitric Oxide is a controversy, healthwise / heartwise, and I don't know if that ever got settled completely. Many avoid it, many succeed on it.
g.) Depending on your metabolism...be careful of what kind of weight you gain on the weight gainer. It just makes me fat overnight.
wow.gif

What you eat isnt so much important as eating enough to hit your goals. If you are bulking, its far more important to make sure you are gaining 0.5-2lbs a week than eating clean. In general, if you arent gaining weight, you arent gaining muscle.

You probably don't want to take Nitrix AND NO Xplode at the same time, unless you want to have a heart attack. Also, just so you know, there really isn't any benefit toward strength or hypertrophy to take NO products. You're probably better off just not taking them at all.

Otherwise, I agree with bgates. Worry less about how clean your diet is and more about getting enough food in total. Besides, if you are taking a weight gainer, that pretty much disqualifies your diet from the whole clean criteria. Don't worry though, I think "clean" is retarded anyway, so you won't get any complaints from me.
Seriously though, if you have to decided between ruining your clean diet by eating a big mac, or getting enough calories for muscle growth, I hope you'll go ahead and eat the big mac, thus getting enough calories to pack on some muscle. As long as you aren't overeating too much, you should be fine.

Tot...and Quad said it best!

Good luck in the desert!

My only advice is I would think its hot as hell over there and given that ...I would thinkn that you are burning tons of calories a day just under normal circumstances.

So if you goal is to bulk up keep the sets and volume 'low as possible' but enought to yield results.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 23 2007,09:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Shrug hard. But not on deadlift days.</div>
Funny, I always do my shrugs right after my deadlifts. I use the same amount of weight for each exercise, and since the bar is already loaded, I just go ahead and do my shrugs, too.

Is that somehow a bad idea...?

I think simplify &amp; win should be on the pinnes. Because newbies like sideway always pick too much exercises.
And trust me about one thing. Dont get more than 0.5P a week. Even if it seems that it makes your gain muscle slower, trust me its not. It saves you many cutting cycles, so you need to do less time cutting and you invest this time in bulking. And bulking slowly and safely its more pretty. trust me.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jun. 24 2007,13:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 23 2007,09:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Shrug hard. But not on deadlift days.</div>
Is that somehow a bad idea...?</div>
No it's not if you can handle it. I use deads for traps one day and shrug on the squat day, to keep the workouts smaller and more effective. But it's not a hard rule of any kind. I also shrug buckheavy or get nothing from them. I forget that some guys are just pulling some 50lb db's or some such.

<div>
(Avi1985 @ Jun. 24 2007,16:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think simplify &amp; win should be on the pinnes. Because newbies like sideway always pick too much exercises.
And trust me about one thing. Dont get more than 0.5P a week. Even if it seems that it makes your gain muscle slower, trust me its not. It saves you many cutting cycles, so you need to do less time cutting and you invest this time in bulking. And bulking slowly and safely its more pretty. trust me.</div>
Amen to that. I wasted a lot of time just eating as much as I could. Keep a journal of what you're eating, especially on a cut. Looking back, I really wish I didn't eat so much, but when strength was increasing I just didn't care. I wanted to pull 500 and that's all that mattered.

Keep a journal: a few minutes a day tracking your calories is better than having to cut for 12 weeks and it's much healthier in the long run.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 24 2007,11:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You probably don't want to take Nitrix AND NO Xplode at the same time, unless you want to have a heart attack.  Also, just so you know, there really isn't any benefit toward strength or hypertrophy to take NO products.  You're probably better off just not taking them at all.

Otherwise, I agree with bgates.  Worry less about how clean your diet is and more about getting enough food in total.  Besides, if you are taking a weight gainer, that pretty much disqualifies your diet from the whole clean criteria.  Don't worry though, I think &quot;clean&quot; is retarded anyway, so you won't get any complaints from me.
Seriously though, if you have to decided between ruining your clean diet by eating a big mac, or getting enough calories for muscle growth, I hope you'll go ahead and eat the big mac, thus getting enough calories to pack on some muscle.  As long as you aren't overeating too much, you should be fine.</div>
Forgot to add those werent in any kind of order but i do try the squats/deads dips and incline first. Except the other day i didn't have a choice but do those last. Dont have a huge gym over here.

Diet wise clean i mean just not fatty trying to stay away from the fries/mini pizza's. Dont really have a thing were i can go off calories cuz i get whatever the chow has and i try to get double everything. Like today first meal was protein shake. Second was hefty load of rice, ribs(kinda of ha),chicken thigh/leg, lucky charms=p. Then the meal i just ate about an hour ago. Was again rice, pita bread, some kind of beef(lots of it) and another chicken thigh/leg, also apple jacks.

But the wieght gainer im holding off for right now as of right now havent/not going to take it. Also saying it be best just to hold off on the no products until i do something different?

thanks for the help

<div>
(Avi1985 @ Jun. 24 2007,16:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think simplify &amp; win should be on the pinnes. Because newbies like sideway always pick too much exercises.
And trust me about one thing. Dont get more than 0.5P a week. Even if it seems that it makes your gain muscle slower, trust me its not. It saves you many cutting cycles, so you need to do less time cutting and you invest this time in bulking. And bulking slowly and safely its more pretty. trust me.</div>
Solid, simple advice here. And right on! Use a handful of compound exercises to hit the entire body hard and efficiently, and bulk slow.

Avi1985, I remember when you were a newbie here asking silly questions, now you are giving great advice like a veteran.
cool.gif

If you haven't already tried it and really like it, I would save your money on the NO-xplode. Yeah the pump feels great, though it has diminshing returns fairly quickly IMO. But other than feeling big as crap during and post-workout, I don't see how it actually directly leads to hypertrophy. You can get the &quot;focus&quot; and energy for a lot cheaper.. I think a gingko pill and a glass of coffee would do about the same. Just my 2 cents.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jun. 24 2007,21:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
Solid, simple advice here.  And right on!  Use a handful of compound exercises to hit the entire body hard and efficiently, and bulk slow.

Avi1985, I remember when you were a newbie here asking silly questions, now you are giving great advice like a veteran.  
cool.gif
</div>
Thnx sci
smile.gif
. Unfortunately i learned it from bad experience, and now i have to cut. But im not going to make the same mistake again, Thats for sure.

Squats M, W Alt Deadlifts F
Wieghted Dips M,W,F
Incline Bench M,W,F
Military Press M,W Alt (upright rows) on F
Shrugs M,F Alt Power Cleans W
Wide Grip Pull ups M,W,F
Bicep Curls M, W
ABS

is that better or do i need to get rid of the isolates like the curls and pull downs? Also this is getting very fustrating im on my 4th workout day and my workout partner is already not liking this saying hes not feeling hes working out enough. But im trying to explain to him but this would be the better workout to gain mass correct? Might have to find a new workout partner cuz i konw the latter weeks of 10's and def 5's im going to need someone.

<div>
(sidewayzisbest @ Jun. 26 2007,01:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Squats M, W Alt Deadlifts F
Wieghted Dips M,W,F
Incline Bench M,W,F
Military Press M,W Alt (upright rows) on F
Shrugs M,F Alt Power Cleans W
Wide Grip Pull ups M,W,F
Bicep Curls M, W
ABS

is that better or do i need to get rid of the isolates like the curls and pull downs? Also this is getting very fustrating im on my 4th workout day and my workout partner is already not liking this saying hes not feeling hes working out enough. But im trying to explain to him but this would be the better workout to gain mass correct? Might have to find a new workout partner cuz i konw the latter weeks of 10's and def 5's im going to need someone.</div>
Incline bench and miltary press are too similar. Incline press and upright rows will work, or flat bench and military press. (unless the incline is very, very small, then its ok) Since you are doing dips also, you could probably just pick one of those presses and still hit your chest and shoulders effectively.

Other than that it looks good to me.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">is that better or do i need to get rid of the isolates like the curls and pull downs? Also this is getting very fustrating im on my 4th workout day and my workout partner is already not liking this saying hes not feeling hes working out enough.</div>

Much better sideways...

As for your partner...well...by the time you hitting 5's if he's still around he'll be eating his words
laugh.gif
or at least wanting to...but if he keeps on nagging get someone else who will show interest and will support you...you don't need loosers when you serious!
wink.gif

Back