Negatives Block

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_deswal
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_deswal

Greetings Folks,

I am almost finished my 15s.

And reading about the Negatives I need to clarify one thing.

I am just going to do the 5rm again. Now my question is do I do 5reps or 2 reps for the 5rm during the Negatives block.

Thanks in advance

Deswal

5 reps would be the call but you can always cluster them to get the 5, up to you!

With a good partner youshould be abl;e to get the required 5 for at least one set.

Thanks...

Now to ensure I understand do the 5rm every workout correct?

Once you have reached your 5RM w/o you will get an idea of how much progress you have made up to that point. ie. If you manage 3 sets of 5 with what was your 5RM load then you will know that you can continue pushing up the load each week for at least a week or two until you reach your new 5RM. Once you have found that you can stay with that load for a few more weeks and still reap the benefits before you plateau and need to SD.

To keep your rep count up once you reach your new 5RMs you will need to cluster, as Fausto mentioned.

Oh, meant to ask: it sounds as if you are not keen to do negatives? (But I may have misunderstood?) Negs are a good way to push up the strain factor. However, for many exercises they are not easy to do. Chins and dips lend themselves very well to negs so they would be worth a try.

You could also check out Max Stim as a way to keep upping the strain whilst managing fatigue well at the end of 5s.

Can someone classify what the negative set is? I just finsihed the 5rm block and am a little confused on the negatives. Say my 5rm for bench was 200.. For the negatives do I do like 1 rep of 165. Then 1 rep of 185 .. 1 rep of 200.. 1 rep of 210.. 1 rep of 225 until I can't get the next weight up? How long should I rest in between each set as well?

Also did you guys find the Max -Stim more productive or Negatives... Thanks for your help

Negatives are where you focus on the eccentric portion (lowering) of the movement rather than the concentric part. For some exercises, negs are not easy to do without help so that'll mean sticking with your 5RM loads for a few weeks more. For dips and chins they are easy to do. Just add a bit more weight than you would use for your 5RM (perhaps your 2 or 3 RM loads). You can then decide whether to do a few normal reps first or whether to go straight to negs. Use you legs to get you into the top position and then lower under control in 3 seconds or so. Rinse and repeat.

Do be careful with the loads. No sense in hurting yourself just to add a bit of extra strain.

Max Stim allows you to do a set of singles with a heavy load while adjusting the time between each rep as you get more fatigued. You need to check it out if you are going to do this instead of doing negs or continuing with your 5RM loads. Dan has lots of good advice on his site.

Rest between normal sets should be long enough for you to restore your functional strength. Rest between Max Stim sets is unneccesary as you only do one set for each exercise.
cool.gif

LOl thanks all of that makes perfect sense, but one last question if you don't mind.... When performing negs will I do the concentric part at all, or should I have my partner lift as much of the weight up as he can and asist in the concentric part as little as possible or not at all? ... Also how many sets and reps should I do for these... I guess that was 2 questions... Thanks in advance for any feedback from anyone?

P.S loving the results... Did a pullup with an extra 70 pounds added onto my 155 pound frame.. Couldn't believe the results...

If your partner can do the concentric phae for you, go ahead :-p
But I think you will mostly do a fair amount of the work on the way up too.
Just make sure you dont lift too heavy on the way up so you (get tired and) dont have the strength to lower the weght in a controlled fashion during all reps.

Sets and Reps though??? 3 sets of 5 or 2 sets of 4... not sure on these first time through... I'm supposed to go a little heavier than my 5rm right?

Correct, you are supposed to go heavier than your 5RM in negatives.

Do not limit yourself to a constrained number of sets. If you are targeting something, cluster sets to a total number of reps. If you add some load, then realistically, you will not be able to do 5 reps, and you will have to do 4. Listen to your body.

I'm pretty sure that Bryan's recommendation is 2 concentric reps and 4 negative reps with your 2RM.

That's 2 con reps on your own, with no help, then 4 reps where your partner lifts the weight for you, and then you lower it.

I'm not totally happy using loads that are around my 2RM except occasionally for deads and squats. Just be careful if you decide to go that heavy, No sense in losing your form and sustaining an injury just so you can increment your loads a bit more.

Back