Negatives-How do you impliment them all?

speedy5323

I'm alright with doing negatives on things such as bench press for example, however I am confused when it comes to things such as squats, curls, and just about everything else. I have finished my fives and would like to do negatives, however, I am unsure of how to apply them to all the excercises. I have skimmed over the FAQ and that seems to only explain negative dips and pull ups. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Negatives aren't able to be implemented on all exercises.

Squats for instance. Unless you have someone who can lift you and the weight up so you can slowly drop down again, it's just not feasible.

That's why there are alternatives. For instance, when moving to neg's, move to leg press. Use two legs to put the weight up, and 1 leg to lower it down as a negative.

Another alternative is to just use cluster reps. I use these on exercises i can't do negatives on because i don't like to do alot of different exercises. I'd move to the negatives weight, and then just do as many sets as it takes (avoiding failure) to hit my rep total. So if you've been doing 2 sets throughout the 5's, which is 10 reps, you may do 3 sets of 3 reps, then a last set of 1 to hit your total of 10 reps.

Curls, i use DB's and do the two hands raise, one hand lower for negs.

There happens to be a way to implement negatives on all exercises. It is, however, difficult to accomplish...

On exercises such as the squat, one can do "negative singles". This is accomplished by:

1) Racking the barbell high enough in a squat rack
2) Performing the negative portion of the repetition
3) Letting the barbell go (gently) on the pins
4) Removing the weight
5) Lifting it back up to the "rack position"
6) Repeat

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ilFacell @ June 03 2005,7:59)]
Hey, Anthony what's up?

School must be out.
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ilFacell @ June 03 2005,7:59)]There happens to be a way to implement negatives on all exercises. It is, however, difficult to accomplish...
On exercises such as the squat, one can do "negative singles". This is accomplished by:
1) Racking the barbell high enough in a squat rack
2) Performing the negative portion of the repetition
3) Letting the barbell go (gently) on the pins
4) Removing the weight
5) Lifting it back up to the "rack position"
6) Repeat
I've thought about that before. Decided it was not worth the time and effort, especially at a public gym where i'd get people's hopes up to get on the squat rack several times.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (speedy5323 @ June 02 2005,9:13)]I'm alright with doing negatives on things such as bench press for example, however I am confused when it comes to things such as squats, curls, and just about everything else. I have finished my fives and would like to do negatives, however, I am unsure of how to apply them to all the excercises. I have skimmed over the FAQ and that seems to only explain negative dips and pull ups. Any suggestions are appreciated.
While this may not be incredibly useful for you at your current gym, you might find a place that has Life Circuit equipment... I've been using the stuff on my negatives and love it. Basically it's a digital based machine where you key in your desired weight. Since it lets you set different weights for the eccentric and concentric movements, negatives are very easy to setup! For the legs, however, I just do what the other guys suggested - Leg Press, two legs up, one leg down...

Back