Negatives

SweetDaddyPatty

how many total reps do you aim for when on the negative portion of a cycle (post-5s)?
I'm set up in a cage with pins for bench press, wondering how many times I need to do a negative, crawl out, take some plates off, herc the bar back to the top, replace weight, repeat....

Asking here not to create another thread...

Does anyone have any experience doing weighted pull-ups when you go up using both arms, and go down using only one? May be useful when there's no other way to easily climb up. I haven't tried it.

I use a three step, stand-alone, kitchen-type ladder and a heavily weighted vest to do negative neutral grip chins. Lowering with one arm sounds awkward but I have never tried it. Might be easiest with a supinated close grip.

I do not do negative bench presses as it is too much work since I work out alone. Negative dips are much easier to perform.

Dont do negs for benchpress. Increase weight and shoot for 3´s instead.

Possible exercises for negatives:

Delts: ohp in smiths machine. Squat up and latch. Unlatch and lower.
Tris and pecs: Weighted dips. Use a higher bench to get up into the starting position.
Quads and hams: legext and curl. Use 2 legs for concentric and 1 for the eccentric.
Bis and tris can be done in a similar fashion in a curling/extension machine.
Back: Cable rows in the same fashion as above.
Back: Weighted chins with the same fashion as the dips described above.

It all depends if you have the necessary equipment to perform them (safely). But extending to 3´s is usually my choice. The only negative Ill do fairly regularly is the negative OHP in the smiths machine. It really causes proper tension!

For lats, I just do pulldowns one arm up, two arms pulling it back down. It's easier for me than fussing with negs on pullups.

Honestly, I think machines are far superior for negs than trying to do bodyweight, with the exception of dips which are absurdly easy to do negatives on. Basically what gbglifter said.

I think he lowers it almost all the way down on to his shoulders while seated, then simply squats back up, latches it and sits back down. Rep done. Sorry for chiming in :)

Back