New muscle fibers/cells?

berserk

When hypertrophy occurs, do the number of muscle fibers increase or do the existing ones simply enlarge? Also, is the term 'muscle cell' an interchangable term for 'muscle fiber' or are they different?

From the HST FAQ'S:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What percentage of muscle growth is due to hyperplasia, and what percentage is due to hypertrophy?

It depends on the type of training stimulus.

Ultimately, ALL permanent muscle growth is due to hyperplasia. This is evidenced by the fact that biopsies of bodybuilders often don't show any difference in fiber CSA than non-trained individuals. In other words, the increase in muscle size is attributed to a greater number of fibers.

Muscle fiber hypertrophy is temporary and only remains as long as the loading is consistent. When training stops for long periods, hypertrophy will reverse. Nevertheless, if training has been maintained for years, some size stays until sarcopenia sets in later in life.</div>

So the holy grail here is hyperplasia - more hyperplasia-specifc training than hypertrophy (considering hypertrophy is only temporary as the FAQ suggests).

<div>
(NeeBone @ May 30 2006,07:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So the holy grail here is hyperplasia - more hyperplasia-specifc training than hypertrophy (considering hypertrophy is only temporary as the FAQ suggests).</div>
But since it seems to take years of training for hyperplasia, the hypertrophy you experience in that time seems hardly temporary. As long as lifting is maintained as a life style, I think hypertrophy can be considered as 'permanent.'

&quot;When training stops for long periods, hypertrophy will reverse&quot;

I guess, then, that would be just the deconditioning of the muscle - which you could then assume to take a rather long period of time (tho never reverting completely the orginal state one would hope).

It just makes it sound like a glorified &quot;pump&quot;. I get what you're saying though...

So how does Testosterone build muscle? Well, Testosterone promotes nitrogen retention in the muscle , and the more nitrogen the muscles holds the more protein the muscle stores, and the bigger the muscle gets. Testosterone can also increase the levels of another anabolic hormone, IGF-1, in muscle tissue . IGF-1 is, alone, highly anabolic and can promote muscle growth. It is responsible for much of the anabolic activity of Growth Hormone . IGF-1 is also one of the few hormones positively correlated with both muscle cell hyperplasia and hyperphasia (this means it both creates more muscle fibers as well as bigger fibers).
i guess if you juice this would all increase dramatically.

Back