new routine. comments?

aidano

I just started a new routine. I need to fit everything (changing/shower and all) into about 1 hour, so I decided to split my routine into a 4 day/week thing like so:

Day1

Squat
Leg Curl
Calf Raise
Pullups
Cable Pulldown
Cable row
BB Curl

Day 2

Bench Press
Chest Press
Dips
Tricep Extensions
Shoulder Press
Front DB Raises
Barbell Shrugs
Weighted Crunches

Day 3 off

Day 4 as Day 1
Day 5 as Day 2

Day 6 off
Day 7 off

I'm doing the regular 2 week set of 15/10/5 reps increasing weights as normal.

Any comments? Looks good? Too little/too much volume?

Hi Aidano

Not only because of time constraints as well as because of efficiency I'd recommend the following changes:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Day1

Squat/Calf raises/Pullups/15 degree incline press/Military press/Ab work

Day 2

Deadlifts/Calf raises/Cable rows/Dips/Shoulder Press/Weighted Crunches.</div>

Reasons: Pullups, Cable Pulldowns and Cable rows are virtually for the same muscle groups, Chin-ups or pull-ups are the most effective - stick to them and load weights when you can - 10's onward or at least 5's.
tounge.gif

For lats you can alternate with cable rows, these are also good.
cool.gif

Bench Press and Dips are all good but why do them all in one day? Do incline bench one day and dips the next, both can be heavily loaded and result in good chest growth.

You will see I included deadlifts, these were missing and they are a terrific all round builders
tounge.gif
alternatively if you have issues with it, use at least the Stiff leg variety.

All other exercises, will just waste your time now, rather use incline d/b curls (good stretch) and skull crushers (tricep - also good stretch) towards the end 5's and negatives.

Read up on the &quot;Pimp my HST&quot; e-book for metabolic stress work and reasons why I'd recommend this.

Furthermore, keeping a simplistic workout will make it easier to get good progression if not even linear and that goes with the principles of hypertrophy!

Cheers

Thanks Fausto.

About the deadlifts - I have lower back issues, so deadlifts are unfortunately out for me. I do the squats on a machine which allows me to keep good form.

Back