Newbie idea of an HST workout. Opinions please?

Julesx

I had planned to start HST about a year ago but things conspired against me!!

Below is what I have thought might work. Can you advise please. Feel free to add or subtract & critcise!

Not sure what to do on the second workout for shoulders. Any ideas?

This week I will be finding my RM. I am on holiday for 2 weeks (SD!) and am itching to get into my first cycle.

WORKOUT 1                             WORKOUT 2

Squat                                            Deads

SL Dead Lift                                   Leg Curl

Bench                                            Dips

Pull up                                           Rows

Shoulder Press                              Shoulder Press

(Curl & Tri press)                            (Curl & Tri press)
optional                                          optional

Many thanks

Jules

you could do millitary-press,clean and jerks,lateral raises, i wouldnt do leg-curls on the same day as deads,maybe leg-ext would be better.

How about upright rows? Vary your hand spacing until you find what suits you best. I find a narrow grip works best for me but others prefer a shoulder-width or wider grip. Some folks get impingement problems at the top of the movement so, to help reduce the chance of this, don't go trying to lift the bar too high; to the sternum is fine. Also, be sure to really shrug your shoulders up during the movement.

Another UPRIGHT ROW alternated with OVERHEAD PRESS for shoulder development fan here. By using these two movements in a routine that includes some form of BB row all three heads are covered quite nicely.
smile.gif

I advocate single joint exercises for the side and rear delts regions. The lateral and bent-over raises are low intensity and so fit nicely when paired with multi-joint movements. Go to www.exrx.net for the proper form during a lateral raise.
Instead of an overhead press you could do a push press. Arnold presses are another possible substitute for overhead presses. Whatever you do, please don't do them seated. Performance decreases and spinal compression increases.

The leg curl may be safely discarded and here is why: Your squats, SLDLs, and regular deadlifts train all but one small portion of the hamstrings, namely the short head of the biceps femoris. It is only activated during leg curls. If the vision of your physique is one with robust hamstrings then go ahead and keep it. But if you want a more well rounded physique consider trading out the leg curls for something else. You could specialize more on your quads by doing a leg extension. You could also add forearm work like wrist curls (which will help your biceps curl numbers).

If you are using presses for your cycle then you might like to try switching to push presses for the post-5s. For the first week of post-5s you could increment the load and then try making 2 or 3 strict press reps followed by a further 3 or 4 push press reps. For the second week of post-5s you could increment again and do push presses for all reps, really focusing on the negatives.

If, like the other guys have mentioned, you drop leg curls, I'd sub them with front squats. That way you'll get some more focussed quad work. I reckon you'll get decently robust hams from deads & SLDLs.  
smile.gif
 You could always add in some GHRs from time to time too (a fancy schmancy GHR machine is nice but you can always do them on the floor with a pad for your knees and something to put your heels under and rest your feet against - have a check on YouTube for some ideas). Swapping SLDLs with RDLs on a per cycle basis would also be worth a try.

Thanks for all the replies!

I get pain in my elbows when doing upright rows to my chin. I may try doing them by only pulling the bar to my sternum as suggested - this I find is OK.

Interesting comments on the leg curls. I did not realise they were that ineffective! I will omit them!

QuantumPositron.......................just to be clear..........................are you saying that my pressing shoulder movements are best done standing?

Lol....................excuse my ignorance! What are GHR's?

Many thanks for your inputs. My routine is nearly 'sorted'!

Jules

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">QuantumPositron.......................just to be clear..........................are you saying that my pressing shoulder movements are best done standing?</div>

Yes. Try putting your stronger leg a few inches behind your weaker leg. This gives your body some play when leaning back so you don't compress your lumbar spine. Keep your head slightly backward like you're a snob.

<div>
(Julesx @ Aug. 08 2009,12:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What are GHR's?</div>
Glute Ham Raises

Here how it's done on a fancy-schmancy machine:
fancy-schmancy

Here's how it's done by us poor folks:
poor folks
(only don't use your arms to push off...)

Thanks for the above replies!

I have had two weeks of SD.

I have started my first cycle.

Initially I thought that I would miss the higher volume workouts that I normally do....................but I am surprised!

My initial obsevations are :

The HST routine is completed in a much quicker time, which  like. I have found the 15's quiet demanding, especially 2 sets of squats!

I think I need to check my max repitions because I'm a little out on the weight. ie: My bench press was easier than I thought so I just added a couple of extra reps. My squats were harder and I did not get 15!

Military Press is hard but I am doing them standing as suggested with an olympic bar. I am hoping that my weights will increase over time on this particular exercise.

I am quiet fatigued at the end of the day (I work out around mid day).

My sleep pattern is disrupted so I am wondering if I should cut the sets back to 1 on the 15's instead of 2.

Still, early days! I am looking forward to the 10's....................Thanks again!

Jules

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Military Press is hard but I am doing them standing as suggested with an olympic bar.</div>

Don't go behind the neck. You're asking for shoulder problems there. Hands spaced 1 - 2 inches outside of the shoulders.

Back