Newbie Q on Dips

jinky

Just starting on HST (and lifting).  I've read the forum for some time now and have a question on dips.  The forum mentions dips as a key exercise for the chest.  I have a power cage with the dip attachment, so my dip bars are parallel.  Does this still work the chest or do I force my elbow out as if I have dip bars at 45 degrees?

If your dip bars are wide enough, it will naturally target the pectorals like no other exercise. My home-made dip bars are parallel, but 28" apart. If the bars are narrower, it was designed more for triceps and you will need to keep the elbows out wide to target the chest more.

Sci, can you vary the spacing between your dip bars easily? If so, have you found an optimal spacing for greatest loading? (ie. at what width can you lift the most weight?).

If you're jus' starting - don't go too deep on the dips; connective tiisue wiil not be used to the strain, take it easy until you've mastered the form. Remember you are in it for the long haul... literally
laugh.gif

I tried 34".....too wide. Then I built my dip bar at 32"...too wide. The I did an experiment with varying widths and found 28" to be perfect for my shoulder width.

I do them at about 34-36" in a slight "V"...head down, back arched for chest.
I do 28" parallell grips, head up, back straight for triceps.

Yeah, 32" is the recommended width as per Vince Gironda, but I also find it too wide, I am with sci here, +/- 28" seems to be just right formy shoulders.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">don't go too deep on the dips; connective tiisue wiil not be used to the strain</div>

Quite right, start easy with dips that your muscles get used to the strain, eventually you should go as depp as you can, but give it time....
wink.gif

Joe

I have posted but little...on holidays...you know
wink.gif

I'll never quit HST posting, its for life
biggrin.gif

Besides there are no other worthwhile forums that I know of!
tounge.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Not long to go til 3000 Fausto!</div>

Yeah, I noticed Peak, but then I been here since the beggining so...it figures
wink.gif
and I like to voice my opinion!
laugh.gif

Back