Newbie Question Regarding HST

anthony123

Hi, I'm new to HST and I need some clarification.

Let's say I want to do an HST cycle with 15-10-5 rep range and 1-2-3 sets.

Let's say I have found out my 1 set 5RM to be 150lbs for bench press before HST cycle starts. 8 weeks later, at the end of HST cycle, am I expected to do 3x5 for 150 lbs bench press? Wouldn't that gain sound too unrealistic?

Sorry if this question is too newbie. Thanks in advance.

after 8wks you will mostly gain strength so it is viable
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Think of it like this:

After 6 weeks of training, your previous 5RM may now only be 95% of your present 5RM. So that means that you are unlikely to reach failure at the end of the first set of 5 reps. The next two sets will be harder but, depending on your progress throughout the cycle, you might well find that you can get all three sets of 5 without hitting failure once. This will be particularly so if you are new to lifting as Faz pointed out.

Welcome Bro!
Glad you finally found the only tried and proven scientific method of gaining muscle without going to full failure (along with other principles) and sacrificing yourself to injury just to get BIG.
You will find that HST is the answer to “why have I been busting my ass and haven't seen much if any results for all my time and effort?”
I was where you are asking all the questions, killing Dan and one thing I have learned from this forum is to read all the  Pin’s and most important is the articles that Brian ( our guru  ) as spent many years researching for our benefit.
Read this pin first.
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....;t=7491
I've been at it since 2004 and have made great results for an old man of 53.
Don't just ask questions until you have read all you can. .You will be better informed and you will be the one who is answering the Bro's question.
Don't stop until you have done two to three cycles and don't try to skip one step till you have master the concept and them you will know where to cut or add.

Once again! Welcome!
We will be waiting for you to become convinced, becaue of the results you will have received from HST. You will be surprised and you will want to share it wit us

See Ya
Sonny

Save a chicken !
Eat a cow !

Hey Sonny. Where ya been Bro? Haven't seen you around for a while. I thought you went back to high intensity or something like that.
smile.gif

Hey O&G
Hell no !
I would never go back to that rat race.
I've been doing my cycles regularly for the past couple of years and I'm still getting better (bigger) all the time , but a bit slower now since I turned 204
laugh.gif
Naw ! been doing quite well as a matter of fact .
I have dropped 25 ld' in the pass four months , Which, that on it own is a big pain in the ass .
Still look better that many of the young Bro's I meet at the gym .
Feel better anyway!
Have you been keeping on a steady course?
From your post that I've been trying to catch up on it appears that you have.
Does Dan still haunt the forum now and then?
Hey! The O'lady is calling me for my daily feeding. So I'm going to have to cut this short.
I'll be back though. I have really missed you guys.

See Ya

Sonny

Save a Chicken!
Eat a Cow!

<div>
(Sonny @ Nov. 06 2006,09:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Welcome Bro!
Glad you finally found the only tried and proven scientific method of gaining muscle without going to full failure (along with other principles) and sacrificing yourself to injury just to get BIG.
You will find that HST is the answer to “why have I been busting my ass and haven't seen much if any results for all my time and effort?”
I was where you are asking all the questions, killing Dan and one thing I have learned from this forum is to read all the Pin’s and most important is the articles that Brian ( our guru ) as spent many years researching for our benefit.
Read this pin first.
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....;t=7491
I've been at it since 2004 and have made great results for an old man of 53.
Don't just ask questions until you have read all you can. .You will be better informed and you will be the one who is answering the Bro's question.
Don't stop until you have done two to three cycles and don't try to skip one step till you have master the concept and them you will know where to cut or add.

Once again! Welcome!
We will be waiting for you to become convinced, becaue of the results you will have received from HST. You will be surprised and you will want to share it wit us

See Ya
Sonny

Save a chicken !
Eat a cow !</div>
Sonny I appreciate your help. I have read a lot of articles about HST and first 5 pages of this forum. My understanding is stated in first post. I just need some clarification of my understanding. Is my understanding correct? That's all I'm asking.

<div>
(anthony123 @ Nov. 07 2006,02:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Let's say I have found out my 1 set 5RM to be 150lbs for bench press before HST cycle starts. 8 weeks later, at the end of HST cycle, am I expected to do 3x5 for 150 lbs bench press? Wouldn't that gain sound too unrealistic?

I just need some clarification of my understanding. Is my understanding correct? That's all I'm asking.</div>
It might sound unrealistic but it isn't. It has been done. But until you try you won't know for sure whether you can do it too!  
smile.gif

So most of you guys can do it in first cycle without cheating like doing 2+3 reps instead of 5 reps for final weeks? I haven't started yet, but I just want to get the general idea and make sure that I don't misinterpreted the system.

Anthony

Without being a real pain, I think Sonny has given you a ton of advice in a few words.

Now, shut up and lift...
laugh.gif
only joking
wink.gif

<div>
(anthony123 @ Nov. 07 2006,04:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So most of you guys can do it in first cycle without cheating like doing 2+3 reps instead of 5 reps for final weeks? I haven't started yet, but I just want to get the general idea and make sure that I don't misinterpreted the system.</div>
when you get to your 3 sets of 5 reps, if you cannot do it then cluster the reps to make 15,like this
5,4,3,3, as long as you get the total reps its
cool.gif

then next cycle go for the 3x5
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

You are correct, but what happened to me at first was that I was to eager and really didn’t get my actual RM’es .

You will be doing some changes on your poundage’s during the first few cycles.
After that you will truly know where your poundage’s suppose to be.

I might get flamed for this, but when first starting out I would lower my 5RM from 150 to something around 130-135 at your discretion. (At least for the first cycle).
Then you will know where you stand and change accordantly.
Your 15’s will seem very light at first, but this give the muscles due time to adapt to the ever changing loads.
Then after your first SD, You may say that you probably could have done the 150.
But don’t worry on your next cycle you will be up there at the appropriate load. You will understand better after you have done a few cycles.
IMHO I would not change from doing it by the book .
It has all been figured out for us thru tried and proven research.
So at first don’t change any reps or sets .
I still do it that way and it always worked for me .
Just take your time follow the direction and you will be on your way.

Tell me if this helps

Thanks
Sonny

Save a Chicken !
Eat a Cow!

Just as a last bit of encouragement:

When I did my first cycle and arrived at my 5Rm for squats, not only did I manage 3 sets of 5 reps but on the last set I did 6 reps just because I could! So it's pretty obvious that my then previous 5RM was no longer my then present 5RM. Make sense? This hasn't happened every cycle but I still usually manage two sets of 5 even if I have to cluster by the third set.

The amount of rest you take between sets will make a difference. When I am on my heaviest squats I might take three minutes between sets. If you only took a minute to rest you might very well only get the one set before having to cluster.

OK thanks guys for the replies. I'll try to follow your advices
smile.gif
Can't wait to get started with HST, which is few weeks away
smile.gif

Back