Next Cycle

Totentanz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys. I'm still in SD, about to go into week 3. Last cycle was a minicycle of all 5s. It got pretty heavy, so I figured a third week off might be a good idea. I only gained a few pounds during that cycle but my strength increased quite a lot. I also wasn't able to eat very well because of moving, which I will remedy this cycle.

Anyway, I'm planning my next cycle and wanted to run it by everyone here, since this place is usually overflowing with great advice.
Now that I have a little extra time, I'm considering doing a AM/PM split and still doing 6 times a week as well. I'm pretty sure some weeks I'll only manage to get in 5 times a week, but I'm going to stick to an AM/PM split for sure.
What I need advice on is how to do the split.

I'm doing one week of 10s, then heading into the 5s for five weeks. I'm going to increment every third workout during the 5s, and once I reach my RMs, I'm going to increment further as far as I can, switching to clustering if I have to once it gets too heavy.

I don't really have any lagging bodyparts that need attention, though I would like to see some more growth in my lats and shoulders (and everywhere else, of course...)
Below are the exercises I am considering:

weighted chinup
weighted dips
over/under deadlift
BB bent over rows
incline bench
good morning
DB shrug
military press
squat

What would be the best way to split that up? I've never done a split before, so I'm not sure. It would be good to keep the AM workout slightly shorter than the PM workout so I don't have to get up earlier.
Also, any suggestions for additional exercises I should add or exercises that I should replace current ones with would be appreciated. I work out at home, so I can't use any machines. However, I can build equipment if I need it. I have built a dip station, chinup bar and squat rack so far, and I have a pretty sturdy bench.

I'm getting my diet in order this time. I've got basic meals planned out. My maintenance is somewhere around 2800 usually, but since I'm doing high frequency, I'm planning on getting about 3700 calories a day, with around 500 grams of carbs, 200 grams of protein and the rest fat. This depends on what my wife makes for dinner. I don't gain fat very easily at all, so I'm not too worried about overeating, just undereating. I'm going to be stuffing my face pretty much anytime I'm not working or working out.

Thanks for the help.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ May 29 2005,10:39)]weighted chinup
weighted dips
over/under deadlift
BB bent over rows
incline bench
good morning
DB shrug
military press
squat
Calf Work?

The split I would use

DL
Chin
Dip
Military
Calf

Squat
Row
Bench
Good Morn
Shrug
DB Arnold Press
Calf

I totally forgot about calf work... good thing I posted it here. That looks like a pretty good split. Time wise, it would work out well for me. I like the idea of adding in an arnold press in the pm too. I didn't think of that.

What is the minimum you think I can get away with regarding metabolic work? I was thinking a quick set of 15 for squats, incline bench and military press. My 13 RM is for chins is my bodyweight, and for dips my bodyweight is my 10 RM so those probably aren't viable for metabolic work.

Here's my current split 3X week, a lil O&G (more Exercises, 1 set ea) a lil Blade, a lot Bryan. Working to my 2RM in Negs. Dropped Clusters this time to see how I respond to 1 set with many exercises. Large Increments, 7.5% on small muscles, 10% on Chest and Back, 15% on legs, duplicating the weight once. 1 work set with a high rep set 10's through the 5's, 2 sets with high rep set through negs.

AM
20% Incline BB Bench Press
35% Incline DB Bench Press
Weighted Dips
Decline BB Bench Press
Upright Row
Lying Lateral Raise
Military
Arnold Press
BB Curl
BB Ext
Concentration Curl
Tricep X Face

PM
Heel Elevated Lunge
Leg Ext
SLDL
Leg Curl
Calf Raise
Donkey Raise
DKM's Lat Press
Suppinated Pull DN/Weighted Pull Up
Wd Grip Pull DN/Weighted Wd Grip PU
Narrow Bent Row
Wide Bent Row
Laying Row

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ May 29 2005,10:58)]and for dips my bodyweight is my 10 RM so those probably aren't viable for metabolic work.
10 reps can still give you sufficient metabolic work, so I wouldn't worry much.

That's interesting... how long does that workout take? I'm thinking of adding in something for triceps. What's Tricep X Face? Also, I think I'm going to have to try that Lat Press you were talking about in the other thread. My lats are puny, so it would be nice to get some size in them.

I see you're doing wide grip bent rows, narrow and laying rows all together. How well does that work?

For calf work, I think I'm going to have to just do standing calf raises. I'm not sure if I can work out anything else here. Actually... I could probably do donkey raises if I just use my weight belt.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ May 29 2005,11:28)]That's interesting... how long does that workout take?  
What's Tricep X Face?  
Also, I think I'm going to have to try that Lat Press you were talking about in the other thread.  My lats are puny, so it would be nice to get some size in them.
I see you're doing wide grip bent rows, narrow and laying rows all together.  How well does that work?
For calf work, I think I'm going to have to just do standing calf raises.  I'm not sure if I can work out anything else here.  Actually... I could probably do donkey raises if I just use my weight belt.
35 to 40 min

DB Cross Face, see below

So far I like it.

Works great, but I love back work, always have.

For Donkeys I use my low pulley and a dip belt.

When I get to the last week of 5's and through the negs I'll drop some of the isolation work and get back to more of my core system (fewer exercises more volume and clustering), unless of course this just blows me away in reponse. The increased increments are based on some experimentation that started when my son was here but he flaked on me after about 3 weeks, met a girl, I can understand that.

Back