No Swimming during days off

dkm1987,

or anyone else who knows.

This is from your post about cardio on days off.

"Nevertheless, you can certainly do whatever cardio you chose without concern for effectiveness (except swimming). So, if you like biking or jogging better, it will work just fine."

Not trying to put you on the spot, just curious, why no swimming ?

Not a big part of my plan or anything but it seems to take the soreness out of my joints.

my best guess, swimming is VERY metabolically taxing.

here are a few stats.

for every mile traveled

Jogging - 100 cals
running - 100 cals
walking - 100 cals
biking - 50 cals
swimming - 200 cals

You could be right.

If I understand correctly, that data is per mile, so it takes a lot longer to swim a mile then jog, at least twice as long I would say.

I am thinking that swimming partially repairs or reduces in some way the stimulus effect of microtrama. That's what it feels like when you come out of the water. Or maybe it encourages the body not to burn fat because of bouyancy or temperature. I could live with the latter. But I am really don't know and am confused by this.

Two things

Those are Bryan's words not mine, I just put it into the FAQS because so many asked the questions on Cardio during HST/SD.

Secondly, swimming is resistance training, your muscles are acting against a force greater than gravity, water resistance, therefore it is still limiting the effect of SD. The whole idea of SD is to decondition the tissue as much as needed for the sub max weights to cause a stimulus again.

Ginorm, just an FYI, you forget the [/quote] at the end of the quote which is why it didn't show up as you expected.

IMHO, I don't see a difference except...Once you get into the heavy weights. I doubt the resistance in swimming is equalling the load in your heavier workouts, so I can't see where a swim would hurt ya there. Also overall swimming is great fun, if you enjoy it, and good exercise so it's up to you and if swimming was an integral part of my life then I wouldn't stop except maybe for my SD.

Back