not feeling sore after workouts

lotus

hi, i have already finished my 5RM and during the weeks of 5RM on the next i do not feel any soreness is it because im doing it wrong? for 5RM i do them 3sets of 5 each, and now i am going to continue to do them for a few more weeks until my school starts but the lack of feeling sore makes me think im doing it all wrong.
<table frame="VOID" rules="NONE" border="0" cellspacing="0" cols="1"> <colgroup><col width="86"></colgroup> <tbody> <tr> <td align="LEFT" height="17" width="86">
  • Squat
</td></tr></tbody></table><table frame="VOID" rules="NONE" border="0" cellspacing="0" cols="1"><tbody><tr></tr></tbody></table><table frame="VOID" rules="NONE" border="0" cellspacing="0" cols="1"><tbody><tr> <td align="LEFT" height="17">
  • Deadlift
</td></tr></tbody></table><table frame="VOID" rules="NONE" border="0" cellspacing="0" cols="1"><tbody><tr></tr></tbody></table><table frame="VOID" rules="NONE" border="0" cellspacing="0" cols="1"><tbody><tr> <td align="LEFT" height="17">
  • Dumbell Bench Press
  • Seated mil press
  • Bent over row
</td></tr></tbody></table><table frame="VOID" rules="NONE" border="0" cellspacing="0" cols="1"><tbody><tr></tr></tbody></table>
  • triceps pushdown
  • bicep curl barbell
<table frame="VOID" rules="NONE" border="0" cellspacing="0" cols="1"><tbody></tbody> </table>
those are what i do sometimes i add , pull ups, dips at the end in order to feel the soreness but it dont really help.

Last edited:
How many reps are you doing? Aim for 15-20 total reps per movement with your 5RM and you should be doing plenty to stimulate a PS response. It's a good idea to add a high-rep metabolic set after the heavy stuff too. This stimulates glycogen storage and will keep you feeling fuller during the heavy post-5 weeks. If your 5RM loads now don't feel like your 5RM loads (ie. you think you could do more than 5 reps for the first set) then by all means increase the loading a bit until you get to your new 5RM. Accumulated fatigue often masks strength gains by the end of the 5s so don't worry if you don't feel any stronger yet. Strength gains will often show up by the 10s of next cycle.

i am currently doing 5reps of my 5RM for 3 sets, what do you mean by add a high rep metabolic set? if i were to add another set of excercises after my main excercises wont i have 7 more extra excercises to do? wont that take alot of time, and some of my 5RM i think i can increase them already like my military press , so i will be adding a little more to those that i think i can add more and continue to do 3 sets of 5 for 1-2weeks

There is absolutely no proven relationship between soreness and hypertrophy. Many top body builders (Mike Mentzer comes to mind) never got sore unless they were just starting back up after a lay off. If your weights are progressing over time you should be fine. Soreness is not a reliable indicator.

There are two things you need to accomplish to enter the gates of Hypertrophyville! You have to activate/stimulate two cell signalling pathways. One is called MAPK P38 which is induced by tension (load) and stretch and is the more important of the two, and the other is MAPK ERK1/2, which is induced by metabolic work.

15s and 10s will accomplish both (assuming you are suitably deconditioned to load at the start of a cycle). Then during 5s and post-5s, a high-rep burn set after your heavy sets can be used to induce metabolic signalling of ERK1/2 causing increased oxidative capacity, glycogen storage etc. If you don't do this you may well feel a little deflated during 5s compared to 15s and 10s. It's easy to do in practice: after your last set of 5, drop the load ~25% and do a high-rep set. That's it! No need to go to failure. Just make it burn. Job done.

Back