Number of exercises

Sikanauta

Hi,

I'm doing my second HST cycle at the moment and I have 14 exercises in my workout. This has worked good so far but the workout is quite long and takes much time. So I'm thinking to reduce moves from my next cycle. What do you think, which ones I should leave and which ones are less important? I can't decide because I love them all
biggrin.gif

Squat
Lying Leg Curl
Deadlift
Bent-over Row
Front Pulldown
Shrug
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Upright Row
Seated Calf Raise
Lying Triceps Extension
Barbell Curl
Weighted Crunch
Wrist Curl

Holy overkill batman!

Okay... first, don't ever do wrist curls again. Waste of time. If you want forearm work, there are better things you can do.
Read the thread that scientific muscle posted, absorb it, become the thread.

How much weight are you moving in the squats and deads? I'd seperate them into different days, if I were you, unless you are not very strong in them yet. Even then, I'd still probably alternate them.
Drop the leg curls and alternate the other stuff.
So... more like this:

Mon and Fri:

Squat
Bent-over Row
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Barbell Curl (if you really need the arm work...)
Weighted Crunch (consider doing weighted hypers instead on Fridays)

Weds:

Deadlift
Pulldown
Bench Press
Upright Row
Lying Triceps Extension (if you really, really need the arm work...)
Weighted Situps

This routine would be a lot better than the one you posted, and would probably get you out of the gym a little faster. I'd do multiple sets of everything, except arm work. If you do arm work, only do one set. I'd leave in core work at multiple sets because a strong core is, like, totally essential bro. Seriously, core work is a good idea.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 23 2007,03:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
Thanks for your advices guys!

Totentanz, I know wrist curls is a little stupid move but my forearms are really &quot;girlish&quot; and thin so I'm trying to do anything to get them better
sad.gif
What move do your recommend if you think curls suck? I also do all moves without straps so maybe that's enough?

My 1RM (estimated) in squat is something 80 kgs and in deadlift maybe something 110 kgs so I'm not very strong yet. But in my first HST cycle I did both squat and deads 3 or 4 times in week (even during 5s) and that was no problemo.

But yeah, I'm seriously considering to reduce some moves from next cycle because current workout gets me very exhausted
tounge.gif

Could somebody give an example how to calculate weights in that workout Totentanz gave?

I mean, do I have to do like

Mon: Squat 50 kgs
Wed: Deadlift 50 kgs
Fri: Squat 55 kgs
Sun: Deadlift 55 kgs
and so on...

or

Mon: Squat 50 kgs
Wed: Deadlift 55 kgs
Fri: Squat 60 kgs
Sun: Deadlift 65 kgs
and so on...

Do all your exercises without straps.

Once you can do alot of chin-ups and deadlift 150 kilos, you forearms wil be bigger than they are now...trust me.

There are about 100 different posts about how to calculate the loads for your cycle, so find one of those....I think there is even one stickied somewhere, or in the directions with the vanilla HST intro.

hst calculator instr.

Ditto what sci said about the deadlifts for forearm growth. Forearms will only grow in cunjunction with all the arms. I would forget on doing direct forearm training as they get most stimulus from deads, chins and rows etc. If you really have to have an exercise for them I would pick reverse curls or hammers. But they come a distant second to the compounds. As for wrist curls, I find they are far inferior to night wrist-shuffles
biggrin.gif

With alternating exercises you can increase 10kilos per session and when it starts to get heavier, cut back to 5kg etc. Just judge it yourself, making sure you are not sacrificing form for weight.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 23 2007,03:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So... more like this:

Mon and Fri:

Squat
Bent-over Row
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Barbell Curl (if you really need the arm work...)
Weighted Crunch (consider doing weighted hypers instead on Fridays)

Weds:

Deadlift
Pulldown
Bench Press
Upright Row
Lying Triceps Extension (if you really, really need the arm work...)
Weighted Situps</div>
This routine looks great but where's calves and hamstrings?

Deadlifts, squats. Deadlifts are great for hamstrings especially, in my experience. Those two should be sufficient for now. Unless you are already pretty big, or have horrible calf genetics, those two should cover your bases for now. I don't believe specialization is necessary early on. How much do you deadlift right now? What is your bodyweight? Just curious.

If you feel you need more, then you could add in SLDLs on the Squat day. I don't think calf exercises are a good idea for anyone, unless you have seriously lagging calves. The majority of people that do them aren't even doing them correctly anyway. But... if you must have calves too, you could add a set of calf raises on your deadlift day.

Back