Number of reps

Blizz

Hi guys,

Looking at the HST routine ie: sets of 15's, 10's and 5's, I find it diffucult planning sets to have the same number of reps for each exercise session.

I wanted to do something like 2 X 15, 3 X 10 and 6 X 5 but that would seem practically impossible to reach, specially in the 5's.

So I decided to do the following: for each session, I'll do 1 set of 15's at submax weight of my 15 RM, 1 set of 10's at submax weight of my 10 RM and 1 set of 5's at submax weight of my 5 RM. That way I'll do 30 reps each session and I'll be increasing the weight each week until I reach my 15, 10 and 5 RM respectively.

Example:

Week 1:
1 X 15 @ 60% of 15 RM
1 X 10 @ 60% of 10 RM
1 X 5 @ 60% of 5 RM

Week 2:
Same as above with 70% of RM

Week 3:
Same as above with 80% of RM

Week 4:
Same as above with 90% of RM

Week 5:
Same as above with 100% RM

Week 6:
Max-Stim schedule with 2 X15, 2 X 10 and 2 X 5 of 100% RM

Week 7:
Same as above...

Week 8:
Testing new maxes...

Will give you the results after 2 months.

Blizz

In my 2+ years of HST, I never understood the whole constant reps approach. My philosophy is to listen to your body and lift as much as you can without hitting failure for a given rep range. For example:

Your routine may be Deads, Bench, Chins, Military Press, Dips, and you are in the 10 rep mesocycle of an HST cycle...

Deads: You are feeling good, and w/o including warmup sets, you decide to do 4 sets of 10

Bench Press: You are still feeling great, and could lift a bunch, but keep in mind you are still working out your chest later in the WO when you do dips, limit yourself to less volume in this instance, so 2 sets of 10

Chins: 3 sets of 10

Military Press: 2 sets of 10

Dips: last exercise, let it all out... 5 sets of 10

A progression in HST is from one workout to the next. You're progressing the load from one set to the next within the same workout AND from one workout to the next. You are basically planning to warm up with 1x15+1x10 and then work with 1x5 each workout. You must realize that muscle doesn't have enough time to grow between sets so any progression there can't have growth as its purpose. Instead, such progression is commonly seen in strength specific training programs. Or rather, dual factor or overreaching methods. I don't know much about that except there is a multitude of books written on the subject so you won't be lacking any information about that. The progression between workouts will induce growth as normal, though.

Good luck.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Instead, such progression is commonly seen in strength specific training programs. Or rather, dual factor or overreaching methods.</div>

I was thinking of dual-factor methods, but HIT rules the 15-10-5 rep scheme w/in one workout.

Just curious, when doing the 15-10-5 scheme (or any other for that matter), do you guys stick to the specified number of reps or simply use the scheme to establish your maxes?

For example, when doing 10's, I push as many reps up as I can even if it exceeds 10 reps. I'll usually set a maximum volume level, say 20 or 30 per excersise, but I don't let the 15-10-5 rep scheme manage my work (it's used to manage my maxes only). In this way, I'm letting my body tell me how many reps to do, which allows for maximum stimulation of the muscle prior to failure. I've also had a better growth response doing things this way.

HST guidelines &quot;seem&quot; to imply that you only do 10 reps during the entire 10 rep mesocyle even when loads are light at the beginning (same with 15's &amp; 5's). This would seem to underutilize the total workout especially those early in each mesocycle.

A lot of guys shoot for 20 reps.

Some others go for 30 total reps.

20 should be ok...i guess!
biggrin.gif

Back