ok for 6week HST?

Yes you can skip the post 5s but in the long run if you always do it you are probably cheating your progress. By doing an SD every 6 week instead of every 8 you lose about 2 weeks of workouts per year. But that’s not the biggest issue IMO. More important is that most people make the best strength gains in the 5s and post 5s. More strength means your lifting more weight in the next cycle which means more potential for growth. Even if you can only a few percent in strength each cycle over the course of a year that can add up to quite a lot more weight you can lift.

ok thanks man, don't worry this should only be once as i'm going on holiday ;) (that's the reason why)
would it be better to do 1 week of 15, 2 weeks of 10s and 3 weeks of 5 then?? in order to try and improve strength more?

I have done an abbreviated cycle before and did similar to what grunt suggested. In my last one, I did one week of 10s then 5 weeks of 5s, building up to my 5 RM over two weeks like normal, then two weeks of pushing beyond the old RMs.

Yup, I'd drop the second week of 15s (gladly!). I always consider the 5-rep weeks to be the reward for working the program. Somehow the lower reps and heavier weights are more fun for me.

I also tend to agree with da Grunt that most of my strength gains seem to come during the 5-rep weeks.

Back