Olympic Lifts and HST

berserkerzx

Hi all,

Ok, so i will be starting HST as soon as i find my RMs, but the question is should i use olympic movement(lifts) as my foundation(compound exercises)? or should i break down the olympic movements into for example,

Clean and Jerk
I will do deadlift first, then front squat, then shrugs, then upright row and then calf raise. As for the Jerk i will do push press or military press.

Last one, if i were to do a 3 day workout a week, can i do Posterior chain on Monday and then Anterior Chain on Wednesday and back to Posterior chain on Friday, is this advisable or should i just do total body workout on all 3 days? Posterior chain means the whole muscle at the back of the body and Anterior is the opposite.

Thanks in a million HST forum :)

Last edited:
Hi all,

Ok, so i will be starting HST as soon as i find my RMs, but the question is should i use olympic movement(lifts) as my foundation(compound exercises)? or should i break down the olympic movements into for example,

Clean and Jerk
I will do deadlift first, then front squat, then shrugs, then upright row and then calf raise. As for the Jerk i will do push press or military press.

Last one, if i were to do a 3 day workout a week, can i do Posterior chain on Monday and then Anterior Chain on Wednesday and back to Posterior chain on Friday, is this advisable or should i just do total body workout on all 3 days? Posterior chain means the whole muscle at the back of the body and Anterior is the opposite.

Thanks in a million HST forum :)

Anyone can help me with the above? :(

If it were me. I would view your compound lifts as a means to improving your olympic lifts.

Obviously, the clean and jerk can be broken down into deads, cleans, front squats, and OHP's.

I would use the deads, cleans, front squats, and OHP's as foundation lifts for your HST program. Run a vanilla program for six weeks, then focus on your deads, etc. and then come back to Oly.

not saying I'm a pro, but that approach has worked for me in the past. deepsquatter.com has some good oly routines (imo).

Why do you want to do Olympic lifts?
I dont have much experience with them. However, I cant really see HST as being an optimal training approach for them. Considering Olympic movements are aimed at generating momentum to lift weight and HST for the most part isn't. Granted you will get results, but yes, you'd be better off sticking with the core movements aka bench, squats and dead lift with some assistance exercises. If your still keen on Olympic lifts there's probably some better routines to follow then HST.

Why do you want to do Olympic lifts?
I dont have much experience with them. However, I cant really see HST as being an optimal training approach for them. Considering Olympic movements are aimed at generating momentum to lift weight and HST for the most part isn't. Granted you will get results, but yes, you'd be better off sticking with the core movements aka bench, squats and dead lift with some assistance exercises. If your still keen on Olympic lifts there's probably some better routines to follow then HST.

Thanks a million for the advice :) its my college practical assignment, cause at the end of 14 weeks i will be given a practical exam on the olympic lifts, thats why xD

Fair enough, I wouldn't advise HST personally, considering your doing Olympic lifts. But either way, best of luck.

BTW: You should start a journal if your going to do it. I'd be interested to see your progress with those exercises.

I agree with wobbles,
HST is a program meant for inducing hypertrophy. Hypertrophy of muscle requires sufficient TUT (time under tension). Olympic lifts, explosive by nature (more CNS/motor unit patternizing/coordination dependant), lack this TUT, not to mention the fact that they lack an eccentric contraction phase, which is so much underlined for inducing muscle growth by the HST program.

I agree with wobbles,
HST is a program meant for inducing hypertrophy. Hypertrophy of muscle requires sufficient TUT (time under tension). Olympic lifts, explosive by nature (more CNS/motor unit patternizing/coordination dependant), lack this TUT, not to mention the fact that they lack an eccentric contraction phase, which is so much underlined for inducing muscle growth by the HST program.

Thanks physick, guess i better just stay on getting bigger then xD

Back