One week of 5RM before SD?

magicdad

I'm wondering if it is absolutely necessary to do TWO weeks of your 5RM before the SD week. In other words, would there be any discernable difference if, after reaching my max in the second week of 5s, I simply did one more week of my 5RM, then did the SD and started another cycle.

This of course is assuming that I do not want to do the negatives or drop sets (which I don't).

Thanks.

Why not try a few weeks of MaxStim style training after you reach your 5RM loads? That way you can keep on progressing the loads and continue to keep fatigue low. If you're not used to working with heavy loads and your joints are crying out for a break then SD. After a few cycles you may be able to keep the 5s going longer.

If you get your volume right during 5s you will find that they are very productive and you won't want to stop them short.

All the best.

Great advice lol, magicdad what's your reason for asking, we need more information if we're going help you, sounds like maybe you're joints are screaming?

Yes, I suppose I could have given you more info. So here goes...

I'm a 45 year old ectomorph, started working out with weights about a year and a half ago, and recently began HST (tomorrow is my final day of 15s). I'm in good shape for my demographic, but I've had a recent knee surgery, so I'm only able to do squats and deads with very light weights to ease the knee back into it.

Regarding my question - it was a pre-emptive strike. I'm still a few weeks away from my 5RM, but I'm trying to prepare myself for the possibility of my joints not being happy. That may not happen, but just in case...

The reason I asked about only one week of 5RM is that sometimes a simple alternative can provide an effective workout AND protect one's middle aged joints. For example, my shoulders are very vulnerable to the bench press. Fortunately, I've found that hammer gripping dumbbells presents no problem at all. That's the only way I bench now.

Lol, I'm not familiar with MaxStim so I'll look it up as soon as I post this. However, if you have a link feel free to post it.

Thanks again, guys.

Happy to oblige. Yer tiz:

Max Stim site

Just as an aside: I have found that my joints have toughened up considerably since starting HST over a year ago now. When I did my first cycle I wasn't used to using loads much higher than my 10RM so the 5s really took their toll. Now, after 6 cycles, I find that I can keep the 5s going and I don't have to stop because of joint problems. I end the cycle when I'm not making any further progress and I know it's time to SD and start over. I'm 42 this year so not far off your situation. I have trouble with my right AC joint from benching but dips and flyes are fine (as is a machine press I'm going to try for a while).

Back