ON's Gold Standard Whey and Pro Complex

bosbik

HI Guys!

I just want your opinions on which is better to use ON's Gold Standard Whey or Pro Complex.

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Whatever. Both won't make you the hulk. Supplements are no magic bullets. That's why they are called "supplements". What makes you the hulk is your training and diet.

Go eat a can of tuna, or roast meat, or whatever.

If you really must have a supplement, then simply choose the one with more protein per serving (if their serving size differs, then choose the one with more protein per gram). That's all you need to know.

-The Real Deal

On this we agree. Just buy whatever product is cheapest per gram of protein. With how much protein most lifters are taking in, the quality becomes less important. Don't overanalyze this stuff - your success isn't going to depend on whether you bought Walmart special Whey or the most expensive stuff at GNC. Eat a lot of food, lift a bunch of heavy weights and you will grow.
After all, there were tons of guys who got huge before protein supplements came out.

Yeah, "The Real Deal" is right on this one. You are better off buying whatever gives you more protein for your money.

ON's "Pro-Complex" has been my choise of protein powder for quite a few months now.
I chose it mainly because it comprises slower protein - albumen (egg proteins) as well as whey.
(still most of it is whey, and it also contains BCAA and Glutamin, but that's not the main thing for me.)

I am a veggie and I lack some slow protein sources.
HSN's "Driver" and "Drive+" protein powders would have been perfect for me, but as I live in Israel, it was very expensive for me to order it (still I did order "Drive+" once and it was great, but then it became unavailable and anyway the shipment was so expensive that I couldn't order it for much longer even if it was available...).

Anyway, I'm getting off-topic here.
I don't know the "Gold Standard Whey", so I can only say "Pro-Complex" seems to work just fine, but it's definitely more expensive than just whey protein powder.

You should really only bother with protein powders if you arent getting enough protein in your regular food.  If you arent you should consider revising your diet.  If you cant then go with a palatable protein powder that is the most efficient protein/gram/$ like RD , jvroig, and Tot said.

hey thanks guys!...i just want to take this 'cause i lack a bit of time to eat right...to much work in the office

I hear you.

I'm thinking I could also use a good supplement right now. Same scenario as you - I find myself often pressed for time. Hardly even have the time to open a can of tuna sometimes
sad.gif

Most of us have to rely on good p[rotein powders to supplement our diets so...the best is to buy the most efficient one for the "buck".

YOu can immitate the Primer + driver by using a little complesx carbs with the MRP before training and taking it straight after training.

I sincerely believe that absorption is key around the training, 1/2 to 1 hour before and 1/2 hour immediatelly after (specially seeing that appetite is not so great after a hard training session.

Then one more dose within 2 hours after training.

Hammer - being a vegetarian you could score nicely by using creatine as well 5 - 10 g p/day depending on wheather you are below or above 80 Kg.

Else - Flax seed oil or a good source of all 3 omega oils (3, 6 & 9) flax seems to have the right ratio's, loads of fruit and vegetables and clean protein, fat as little as possible (specially animal sources) keep at 15 - 30%.

That is my take!

yeah i know what you mean...
It's hard to eat after a heavy workout..especially after too much work in the office..
sad.gif

Yeah, and I find that with all the stress and after a workout, if I manage to eat so much food, I just end up with a lot of "waste disposal" in liquid form
sad.gif
It's really not friendly for the digestive system. A nice good dose of protein drink would really hit the spot - if I ever find one that's really friendly for my degree of lactose intolerance.

My PWO shake is usually 50g. protein powder / 50g. maltodextrin / 50g. dextrose and a pinch of salt for protein uptake. The carbs are set for my 205+ lb. frame.
I found a fairly good quality powder at BJ's discount wholesale for about $17. for five pounds. I had our local supp expert check it out, and he said it was over 75% bioavailable or something which was supposed to compare with a lot of the more expensive powders. Has no sugars in it tho, so you might use a sweetener of your own. I use Stevia myself, or blend in some fruit.

I got my last protein powder at about 1.71 cents/(g of protein)

On average, I find a 6oz can of tuna at .69 which comes to
2.65 cents/(g of protein)

If I could find 5 lbs for 17 bucks, that would be great. My 6 pounder is a few scoops from being out.

Quaddancer, is this BJ's discount online?

This I do not know...BJ's is a chain wholesale discount club, like Sam's Club, or Cosco. Sorry bro. I would imagine that there are these type of clubs popping up all over, and many may carry whey powder. Even Wallmart has it, but a little more expensive than mine. The brand I'm using that was okay'ed by our local "chemist" is Designer Whey. There is supposedly something less desirable in the process used in some of the cheaper whey powders, but this one is fairly good.
On a related note, I paid maybe $35 or 40 for a year's membership...and I just bought ten lbs of chicken breasts today for under $1/lb. - SKINLESS!

First of all use whey isolates not concentrates. There are plenty lactose free products out there. just ask from your local shop

Hi,

On a similar note, I'm trying to bulk at the monent. I used some calcs found elsewhere on the site and found that based on my current weight I needed to consume 170g Protein, 3300cals.

So I purchase a weight gainer, which consisted of whey protein concentrate, complex carbs in the form of maltodextrose and choc flavour. And nothing else. No vitamins or sweetners or anything else - cool product I thought.

Standard serving is 396cals, 35.5 protein , 50g carb and 4g fat. I take that twice a day.

Now I'm on a 5x5 strenght programme, made steady strength gains. I estimate my total weight gain to be 3.4 kg from the time I started taking this stuff - not sure exactly what I was on the day I started.

Thing is, I don't see much difference in muscletone. Plus added considerably to my love handles.

My analysis is that I've been a bit lazy on the cardio, and I estimate my total protein intake to be lower than the 170g I'm aiming for.

I'm thinking to up the cardio on the non-weight days (do kickboxing) and also add extra whey protein to the shake, so as to increase the protein intake without altering the carbs.

I could also switch to a different shake, 241cals, 48g protein, 24g carb, 8g fat. From same company, but has more artificial stuff added, so not entirely sure about that one.

What does everyone think?

Back