Order to do exericses.

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_hardcoremc
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_hardcoremc

G'day guys. i'm about to start a new routine and i'm wondering. does it matter which order you do your exercises? should they at least be the same each workout?

also. Does it matter if i do say. Leg press-incline-pulldown-squats-rows? so that gives the muscles i'm working on a bit of a rest whilst doing another body part.

cheers

When I did full body workouts I always hit the large muscle groups first.

Squats
SLDL
Rows
Pullups

Otherwise I don't think it makes alot of difference. When the gym is full of people I adjust around my exercises to use available equipment without waiting.

Rule of thumb is do big exercises first (compounds) before the smaller exercises (isolations).

A common exception would be squats and deadlifts, in case doing them wipes you out. It's not a good idea to do them first and then spend the next 20 minutes of your gym time lying down on the floor, and then going to finish the rest of your workout. In that case, you can do them last.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jvroig @ Oct. 29 2005,10:27)]Rule of thumb is do big exercises first (compounds) before the smaller exercises (isolations).
A common exception would be squats and deadlifts, in case doing them wipes you out. It's not a good idea to do them first and then spend the next 20 minutes of your gym time lying down on the floor, and then going to finish the rest of your workout. In that case, you can do them last.
That's funny

When I first started I did full body workouts.

I did the squats and SLDL first because I got the stuff I hated the most out of the way first.  LOL
-------------------
There are BB that do leg extensions first very hard and then hit the squats.  I think it has something to do with threshold for pain LOL

I should mention I do a 1 hour cardio/fat burn after every weight workout. Squats were always a breathing not muscular issue for me. I have no problems with the big breathing exercises now and I credit that to the cardio workouts more than anything.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (domineaux @ Oct. 30 2005,11:14)]
I should mention I do a 1 hour cardio/fat burn after every weight workout.
each to there own but i would never do cv after doing weights it can be extremely counter productive,unless you rest first and load back up with carbs(glycogen especially) etc otherwise you could end up in a catabolic state.i like running so i do it on my off days.

as for order of excersise i like to get the heavy compounds done but leave squats till last.

Comment to the original poster:
I do leg presses / squats after I do deadlifts - when I tried doing it the other way around, my legs would shake during the DL's.

Lcars:
Good point - since I have to either walk or run to the gym (almost a mile), I just run home from the gym and then down a protein shake. It is a good idea to do the majority of cardio on off days.

New question..
generally, what is the difference in max weights between the 5rm 10rm and 15rms?

cheers.

Your 10RM is around 20% more than your 15RM.
Your 5RM is around 15% more than your 10RM.

These are just estimates, obviously. If you tested your maxes right and they were far off from the estimated percentages, no need to worry at all.

Back