partial deadlifts

Ademas

I know Im going to get flak over this but Im thinking of utlizing partial deads in my workout. Ive always done full range of motion for all my movements and I actually prefer the SLDL. However Im not into gaining functional muscle like I used to be and have become somewhat of a recreational bodybuilder. That being said I keep it simple. Basically, me legs and ass have the potential to get huuuggee, at least they did when I was deadlifting considerable weight for high reps. So, im thinking of just using partial to have my upper body catch up to my relatively larger and stronger lower body. Ill always squat, but do u guys think the partial deads could be dangerous? I bascically want to hit my back complex muscle with an effecient movement without hitting my ass.

Partial deads are great for general loading of your whole body and shouldn't be dangerous if your form stays good. I guess the biggest danger is if you increase the loads over your max deadlift too quickly and suffer some kind of tendon strain or muscle pull. So I'd increase the loads gradually. Grip strength will have to be good too and your traps will take a beating. I'd make sure I was focusing on heavy rows and weighted chins too.

One other thought is that your butt is going to get much more of a workout from squats than it is from deads so maybe deads aren't your problem in that area anyway?
smile.gif

Your post is confusing me as to whether you are talking about regular deads or SLDL. In either case, if they are hitting an area that you think is already out of proportion, why not eliminate them instead of doing partials? If your biceps were out of proportion, would you do partial curls or just quit them altogether?

If you only need the upper body portion of deadlifts, then do shrugs instead. That way you will work your upper back without working your hips, etc.

Thanks for your posts. Yeh I'd definitely keep chins as a movment however feel like pulling from the floor is just the best for overall back development. There was never a time where I didnt squat and pull from the floor, so we'll see about how squats affect me.

What about a slight lean back at the top of the partial dead? Bad for the disks. It as recommended I do that? Sounds slightly risky

In the lean back, the line of pull is directly in line with the spine; how can that be bad?
It completes the movement, qualifies it as having been lifted. With too much weight, you might get it up, but not all the way. That doesn't qualify, and would technically be worse for your back. But deads are good for you. I'm living proof of that.

<div>
(Ademas @ Dec. 01 2007,03:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks for your posts. Yeh I'd definitely keep chins as a movment however feel like pulling from the floor is just the best for overall back development. There was never a time where I didnt squat and pull from the floor, so we'll see about how squats affect me.

What about a slight lean back at the top of the partial dead? Bad for the disks. It as recommended I do that? Sounds slightly risky</div>
im with quad, as long as when you pull back you dont hyperextend too much you shouldnt have any problems, as most peoples spines have a natural curvature anyway.

i prefer to pull from the floor but rack pulls can be very useful sometimes.

Back