Pec Deck vs. Flys

omega99

I've been mainly sticking to compounds for chest but was thinking of throwing in some sets of pec deck or regular flys. Using the forearms to push on the pads of the pec deck, I prefer the stretch I get to these vs. lieing bench flys. Also, the flys cause some strain on the front delts, which I get enough of from regular or incline presses. Anyone else prefer the pec deck to regular flys or have better growth results with the deck?

I think that peckdecks have helped me before where I used them for loaded pulse reps after bench.

I also used theme before for fairly heavy reps (222 Lbs), that is heavy for me!

Well for chest specialization maybe they could work.

Especially if you used a machine that kept constand tension...and did not get easier due to gravity.

Obviously they are not a compound so there will not be any overlap but if you are looking for just chest growth maybe it would be a good option?

The problem I see ( and one reason I haven't used them that much) is b/c hst basically teaches us that pre and post fatique a muscle is basically old theory of bodybuilding.

It goes back to load and increasing load.

So yes I think flys are better for just chest developement than say bench press...but you cant keep increasing load on a pec dec no were as much as you can on a compound.

So you could do two things.

Use them in your routine and increase weights by 10 pounds each workout for pec dec. Once you get to were you can increase weights no more...maybe up your reps from 20 to maybe 30 reps.

Once you get to the point were you cant progress any more you switch to compounds.

the only problem I see with this is I think if you start at 75% of your max it want be long before you are at 100% of your max and there will not be that big of a difference in weight...(load) hence what kind of hypertrophy will take effect if load is not increasing.

The second option would be to through 1 or 2 sets in for metabolic work after heavy compounds.

Pec Deck keeps you straight. With db flyes, the heavier you go, the closer you'll tend to get to the body and then be doing db presses more than flyes.When I started doing flyes, we used to do them with the arms fully outstretched and a lighter weight. Just like a pec deck.
I think the main thing is the position of the humerus bone. Just like in benching, the outstretched elbows are better for hypertrophy, and as I said, the pecdeck keeps you there. Also, you can move the arms up or down on the pads for a different angle on the pecs.
The difference between the deck and db's as I see it is iso's vs. compounds. As I said, when guys go heavy, the db's start asking for assistance from delts, lats, neck and your mother.
To help keep the delts out of db flyes, have your palms facing in toward each other.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B3caPWxvag

Quad

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The difference between the deck and db's as I see it is iso's vs. compounds.</div>

Well put!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> As I said, when guys go heavy, the db's start asking for assistance from delts, lats, neck and your mother.</div>

Which means they have a place but one can only go so heavy, unless of course good ol'mom is there to help out
laugh.gif

Others, specially newbies who use this exercise

Whenever I teach this exercise I absolutelly insist on perfect form (like the side lateral raises), some of the guys say I make it look easy but that is all practice, tat is why I can get it that way, but I limit the amount I can lift to perfection.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">To help keep the delts out of db flyes, have your palms facing in toward each other.</div>

I never knew you could do it any other way, it is just not aesthetically correct, if your palms aren't facing each other and your arms are not slightly bent (I mean slightly, else it becomes a press), you're not doing them coirrectly IMHO
wow.gif

I used peck-deck as an additional isolation exercise. After Bench or Dips. I think it worked good, I had good results.

I think Peck-deck is superior to flies. Because they keep the tension constant. So you have full load at the stretched ANd the peak contraction position. Whereas with db flies, you have minimal tension at the contracted position.

Very true. I've just started using my old Wieder bench, one of those with the rubbers. I threw away the pulldown attachment (useless), but am using it for the &quot;pec deck&quot; portion, like you, at the end of chest day for a pump-out and the contracted tension. I'm hoping it brings my little peckies up a bit.

I popped a rib cartiledge doing heavy flies in the past - this area still creaks to this day. I stick to Pec Deck now.

Back