Perfecting the Squat

colby2152

As some of you may recall, I posted a few months ago about proper form during a squat. I eventually changed from doing a half squat of some sort to a full one.

It actually feels more comfortable going all the way down... possibly due to stretch, full contraction, and strongest ROM?

Anywho, I position the bar upon my upper traps right above my neck. Should it be lower? I tried testing that out and it just doesn't feel right.

You're doing it right. That's how I do it, and pretty much how everyone should do it, unless for some reason you don't have traps to rest the bar on... in that case, I guess you would be screwed.

Actually, before I got my machine, I had gone to using a manta ray device, since one out of around fifty lifters have neck or upper spinal problems with a squat bar and I'm one of them. The manta ray took the pain out of my protruding vertebrae (even tho I DO have traps) by spreading the load out over the shoulders. I don't use it anymore now I have a freeweight lever machine, but I'd be willing to sell it. I had to cut the neck area out a bit to accomodate my neck (18") as they make them a bit narrow to begin with.

i like full squats they seem to suit me well,there are conflicting arguements about wether more stress is placed on the knees with full squats where as the opposite is also argued,its whatever feels most comfortable.i switch between both evry so often.

Not sure what you all mean by "full squat," but I go down, butt to ankles. Is that more or less right?

Thanks for the comments everyone. I guess I am doing the squats correctly then.

I checked exrx.net and found nothing; what are box squats?

Back