Philosophy of Set Number

wisslewj

Hey guys,

Check out my Member bar!  It finally bulked up from the lil stick it started as!  
cool.gif
  Getting hyooooge lol.

Anyway, I was curious about the set range chosen for HST.  For example, Chest is 2 sets of Inclines and a set of Dips or declines.

Now, assuming that this didnt fatigue a person or over stress the CNS, what would be the result of bumping up chest 1 or even 2 more sets each workout?

My thinking is that it could result in:

1. more muscle growth from more stimulation
2. less muscle growth due to quicker adaptation
3. no real change, just wasted energy

I have read in the FAQ that excessive extra sets will fatigue one and may be pointless.  But I am curious as to whether or not some may be more beneficial and if there is a point at which they will become detrimental even if they dont fatigue you.

I have also read that you can double your routine AM and PM.  Again I am curious if this will produce muscle growth better or just be wasted energy.

Is there something I missed that already explains thos or can someone maybe help me understand this from a scientific angle?

Thanks,
Jeff

Dan,

Thanks for that. I read that when I first came to the HST forum but didnt really understand it well enough I guess lol. It made alot more sense this time around.

So I think I got it. If I am used to 9 sets of chest, I can do 3 sets each workout and go from there with how I feel. Possibly at 5's I should go down to 2. Again based on how I feel and heal.

BAsically do as many sets and reps as you can and not be to drained for the next workout.

I think I got it!

I have just one more thing. If I understand all this right, that means on workout 1 which is about 25 lbs less my RP, if its too easy I can do more sets. But as I draw closer to the max for that cycle, it may be good to drop back a set based on healing and fatigue levels?

Am I on the right track here ?

Thanks for all th ehelp!
Jeff

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have just one more thing. If I understand all this right, that means on workout 1 which is about 25 lbs less my RP, if its too easy I can do more sets. But as I draw closer to the max for that cycle, it may be good to drop back a set based on healing and fatigue levels?</div>

Genrally speaking you can, but this should only really happen towards the end of teh 5's or beyond, stick to 15 x 1/10 x 2/5 x 3, and doa full cycle or two, get the feel adjust ever so slightly, then and only then start doing mods.
wink.gif

Kewl, Thanks fausto

Fausto, seems like you have done quite a few HST cycles. I was wondering how many and what kind of weight gain you experienced with each one. I am assuming it got progressively less each cycle? But am just curious what the expected gains might be. (I know people are different but just a guideline)

As I said before, this last routine was quite beneficial paired with my diet. I have never ever gained 20 pounds so fast ever before. However, I cannot imagine that this will keep continuing forever and I am curious what to maybe expect for HST so as I can judge whether its actually working for me.

Thanks for te help
smile.gif

Jeff

Back