planned HST routine, is it okay?

joker12

planned routine: (note i will squat as well as deadlift so i will do one less less leg and back exercise) my arms do not grow on compounds alone incase it has any bearings...

In order:

Squat(2sets)
Benchpress(2 sets)
Deadlift(1 set)
Bentover row(2sets)
seated barbell shoulder press(2sets)
Laterial raise(1set)
EZ curl(2sets)
dips(2 sets)

in the Increment section what number should i put for large muscle goups like back, leg and chest exercises...
and what should i put for smaller groups like biceps and triceps (not to sure what to catagorise shoulder?!!)

finally any recomendations of how to not go to failure on exercises like NGBP after all that pressing from the bench and shoulder press?

Last edited:
You can increment any muscle groups by a fixed amount or a percentage, 5% is most common, as it will take you from 75% to 100% of your RM. Each increment doesn’t have to be exactly the same either. So some sessions might be 10 lbs. while others could be 5 or 15 lbs. Usually if I’m forced to use uneven increments I try to front load the largest ones when the weights are the lightest. In some cases you might even have to repeat some increments.

One way to keep from failing is to alternate push, pull, legs or some variation during your session that will give the opposing muscles some rest. Also since you will be using sub-maximal weights for most of each micro-cycle it’s unlikely you will reach failure until the last session, and even then you may not since you will likely have gained some strength. Plus going to failure on the last session of each micro cycle shouldn’t be a big problem since you would only be doing it one every two weeks the last of which is followed by SD anyway.

If you do feel like you are going to start to fail on a set prior to the last session of the micro-cycle you can always stop short and then cluster to get the total number of reps you’re shooting for if you want to.

There’s actually no problem in including isolation exercises for arms if that’s what you need. I would just recommend to people not to go crazy with them and it looks like you are only doing one each for Triceps and Biceps so I don’t see any problems.

hmmm all this increment business does confuse me, this is the main part i am not confident in ...

so how about for the main compound movements i have: Squat, Bench press, Deadlift, Bentover rows, and Shoulder press i can increase it by 10

and the smaller exercises like dips, laterial raises and EZ curls i use 5 for increments... how does that sound?

actually lol is there the need for laterial raises, just that i saw them in the the HST exercise list and i thought maybe the seated smith machine barbell press was not enough?

Last edited:
Generally you want to increment each rep range from 75% of that ranges rep max to 100%, or even 80% to 110% under the assumption you will gain 10% in strength, very possible if just starting out.

So an example would look like this:

If your 15RM (Rep Max) for an exercises is 100 lbs. the you would start the 2 week 15s micro-cycle with 75 lbs. or 75% of your 15RM. Then subtract 75 lbs. from 100 lbs. and you get 25 lbs. for the total amount to increment over the next 5 workouts. Note though you are doing 6 total workouts you are only incrementing the weight 5 times. (1) 75% to 80%, (2) 80% to 85%, (3)85% to 90%, (4) 90% to 95%, and (5) 95% to 100%. So 25 lbs. divided by 5 increments comes out to 5 lbs./increment.

Ok real world it seldom works out so evenly but the concept is the same no matter what weight range you are working in. Generally most people end up using 10 lbs. on things like Squat, Bench and other heavy compounds. 5 lbs. on lifts like Presses or BB Curls and as low as 2.5 lbs. on isolation exercises like Lateral Raises, although in some cases if your compounds are very heavy you could end up incrementing 15 lbs. or 20 lbs., because of the weight ranges they are working with.

In a less even example say you have a 140 lbs. 15RM on the BB Press it would at 75% give you 101 (I’d just round off to the nearest 5) so call it 100 lbs. 140-100=40/5 =8 lb. increments. Assuming 2.5 lb. plates are the smallest you can only increment by 5 lbs. or 10 lbs. in a case like that I would start at 100% and the 6th workout and increment backwards something like this:

Workout = Increment

6 = 5 lbs.
5 = 5 lbs.
4 = 10 lbs.
3 = 10 lbs.
2 = 10 lbs.

So you’ve incremented 40 lbs. by frontloading the larger increments. There’s no rule you have to do it that way but it just makes sense to me to put the heavier jumps in the beginning. Also if when counting down from 100% you have to drop below 75% that’s ok but I would try to stay above 70% of your RM.

Also on very light weight exercise you may have to double up and use the same weight a couple workouts in a row.

Ok after that long answer here’s the simple one yes you can do what you said:

so how about for the main compound movements i have: Squat, Bench press, Deadlift, Bentover rows, and Shoulder press i can increase it by 10

and the smaller exercises like dips, laterial raises and EZ curls i use 5 for increments... how does that sound?
You don’t have to do Lateral Raises but I find they are the best exercise for hitting the medial Deltoids and giving me wider looking shoulders. Upright Rows will also hit the Medial Delts if you want to stick with compounds and can tolerate them.

P.S. After re-reading that I think I should also note that people shouldn’t get too caught up in the fine details. Many people come here from programs that are very specifically laid out and told to do it exactly that way or it won’t work. IMO the real beauty of HST is that it’s a set of simple principles which can be used in a variety of ways. Just look at my log or the logs of those who have been here for quite a while and most of them don’t resemble anything like vanilla HST but they generally follow the principles:

Last edited:
thanks grunt your help is much appreciated, il set up a log here in a month or so after im done cutting and begin HST

Good luck with your cut, I just had a very successful first one so I’m not so scared to cut anymore, and by extension put on even more fat in order to bulk. Looking forward to seeing your log.

Cheers

sory sory last time i will bother anyone untill i get into my hst

just to be sure of my calculations if my 5 rep max for an exercise is 111, i would find 75% which is 83.... i would then find the sum of 111-83 which equals 28 and that divided by 5 equals 5.6 so i would round it up too 6. That would mean my increments for my 5 rep max would be 6?

If you have a way of doing 6 lb. increments that would be odd, but by all means do it if it’s easy, otherwise rounding to 5 would be just fine. It will just mean you will start a little above your 5 rep max if you increment backwards by 5 lbs. until you get 6 total sets of weights.

So you would end up with something like:

Workout/weight
6 = 110
5 = 105
4 =100
3 = 95
2 = 90
1 = 85

Like I mentioned it doesn’t have to be exact.

There has been a little change in plans with regards to my routine. After trying 15 reps for deadlifts i can tell you that wont be happening lol.

so i have decided to ajust it a little during my 15 rep block

Squat(2sets)
Benchpress(2 sets)
SLDs (1 set)
Pullups (2sets)
chinups or a form of rows(2sets)
NGBP(2 sets)
EZ curl(2sets)

And when i come to performing the 10 rep and 5 rep blocks i will use this routine

Squat(2sets)
Benchpress(2 sets)
Deadlift(1 set)
Pullups(2sets)
NGBP (2sets)
EZ curl(2sets)

im assuming this is okay?

Last edited:
You might want to adjust your sets, as the vanilla settings i think are:
2 sets for 15's
2 sets for 10's
3 sets for 5's
(For all exercises)
Again you can do either way, this just might be a better idea to keep the volume of the workouts relative. You may even wish to have higher sets during the start of each two week block when the weights fairly light and slowly decrease the sets as you reach your 100% RM for each micro cycle.

arghhh i have got a little unsure again after looking at the HST website there sample routine has as many as 4 sets for back split up into two different exercises, and i have read different views on what you said about the 15 rep block should be 1 set 10 rep block should be 2 sets etc....

i really love to deadlift so i thought that i could incorporate it during my 10 rep and 5 rep blocks as it counts both as a hamstring exercise and back exercise... would you recomend that i extend the deadlift set too 2 sets so i get another back set of 4 and leg set of 4 perday, as outlined in the HST sample routine?

so it would like this for the blocks of 15

Squat(2sets)
Benchpress(2 sets)
SLDs (1 set)
Pullups (2sets)
chinups or a form of rows(2sets)
NGBP(2 sets)
EZ curl(2sets)

so it would like this for the blocks of 10 and 5

Squat(2sets)
Benchpress(2 sets)
Deadlift(2 sets)
Pullups(2sets)
NGBP (2sets)
EZ curl(2sets)

does this routine make sense?
and for instance if I was to do 2 sets of squats or deadlifts i cant imagine clustering on these types of exercises if i know i am going to struggle on my second set. Cant i reduce them by say 5 kg overall to make my target rep range for my second set after a rest of say 2 mins?

i know thers a lot of questions but i have become more confused lol thanks

Last edited:
Dont reduce the weight in any sets, the point of HST is to be continually increasing the mechanical load every workout. With only 2 sets you will be able to hit your targets each time. If your concerned, you can reduce the sets to 1 on the last workout of each 2 week block. If HST is performed correctly, you should be able to get 2 sets in your 5's due to the strength gains made from the previous weeks and if you cant, I'd say it's diet related or from lack of sleep.

Back