playing around with HST this week

magnumfreak

Just for fun since I have ended my sets of 5 for this cycle I thought I would try something different. After a warmup set or two I hit my 15 rep maxes, 10 rep maxes and 5 rep maxes back to back. So I do 1 set of 15, 1 set of 10 and 1 set of 5's at whatever level I had assigned to them for the cycle. I had the most insane pump at the end of last nights workout. Couldn't really even straighten my arms out. LOL! Felt incredible. I understand what Arnold was saying about the pump. I even did a few 1 rep maxes on flat bench (hit 365 before I started feeling the fatigue new personal record). I am going to continue this for the week then do my SD week. No science behind it but I thought I would share. Kind of a fun thing to try if you want something different.

On my very last couple weeks, I like to build up to 1 rep maxes on the big lifts, it is great fun. If you do the 15, 10, 5 thing again, I'd recommend doing it backwards. That is, do 5 RM, then 10 RM, then 15 RM, rather than the other way around. That is fun too.

Sounds good, just the kinda thing we freaks do
laugh.gif
but man...is it great to hit a PR or what?
wink.gif

I was going to do a whole cycle that way, but decided it would be too much on the maxes, them being all together. Congrats on your conditioning!
You may actually get some more growth out of this, from shock value and just the nature of change. Not to mention that it can help your conditioning overall. Keep us posted!

Today I will finish up the week of playing around. I haven't lost any size or strength and I hit a few new personal records. 500 lbs on a single for deadlift! Not bad for a 41 year old 6'8" tall person. Loved the look of the bar bowing while it sat in the rack. LOL!

I think I will do this at the end of my next hst cycle. THe pumps were insane and hitting the new personal records is definitely an ego boost. I feel like there is more defnition in my arms and quads.

Back