Weighted dips (1)
Weighted pull ups (1)
Inclined DB bench press (1)

Lateral raises (1)
Front raises (1)
DB curl / BB curl (1)
Preacher curl (1)
BB lying tricep extensions (2)

I only do one set of leg exercise because I don't want my legs to get any bigger (they are proportionately big enough already).

I do compound exercises at the beginning of the workout, and isolation at the end. I also do a bit of ab work (not stated above).

I much prefer doing one set of slightly different exercises (e.g. bench press and DB bench press) rather than doing multiple sets of one exercise (e.g. 2 sets of bench press). This is because I feel I can really push to my max poundages as I reach the end of my rep range cycle.

I am currently about to start my 5-rep cycle.

i can understand why you are doing 2 exercises but 1 set,but you have 3 chest exercises and only 1 vertical and 1 horizontal pull for back.

You have a good selection of exercises in the first part of your list.

I would recommend that you add deadlifts to your next cycle and forget the lateral raises, front raises and preachers (I really think that you will have worked your delts and bis with more load already in your workout so these aren't gong to add anything much). Deadlifts will hit your entire back pretty hard and in particular your spinal erectors. Having a strong back is a really beneficial asset. It will hold you in good stead in sports and life in general. There are so many benefits to be had from deadlifting that, unless you have a spinal injury or a condition that prevents you from doing them, they should be a part of any good workout plan.

The flip side to all the benefits is that deadlifting can be brutally hard once you have learned the movement. You will find that your deadlift loads will improve faster than most, if not all, your other lifts and so, due to the mechanically advantageous position you are in when you deadlift, it will not be long before you are able to lift some quite large chunks of iron.

Deadlifting three times a week would probably be overkill for most folks who are past the beginning phase in their lifting career (ie. at a stage where most find that they can hold more weight with an over-over grip than they can lift with their back). During 15s and 10s, deadlifting two or three times a week might be OK for some but during 5s, once or twice a week would generally be a better plan. You could always alternate deadlifts and squats, particularly as you aren't trying to develop your legs, so you would deadlift twice one week and once the next.

I think I might put the press and upright rowing later in the workout just so that benching/dipping and rowing/chinning aren't compromised by fatigued tris and bis. Also, if you have any shoulder issues (and even if you haven't) it's good to really warm them up before hitting them hard, so doing your other upper-body compounds first will help with that.

All the best with the 5s (it might be worth doing two sets for at least some of the exercises during 5s if you really want to get more from them). If that gets too much, drop some of the isos at the end.

<div>
(Lol @ Dec. 05 2007,07:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You have a good selection of exercises in the first part of your list.

I would recommend that you add deadlifts to your next cycle and forget the lateral raises, front raises and preachers (I really think that you will have worked your delts and bis with more load already in your workout so these aren't gong to add anything much). Deadlifts will hit your entire back pretty hard and in particular your spinal erectors. Having a strong back is a really beneficial asset. It will hold you in good stead in sports and life in general. There are so many benefits to be had from deadlifting that, unless you have a spinal injury or a condition that prevents you from doing them, they should be a part of any good workout plan.

The flip side to all the benefits is that deadlifting can be brutally hard once you have learned the movement. You will find that your deadlift loads will improve faster than most, if not all, your other lifts and so, due to the mechanically advantageous position you are in when you deadlift, it will not be long before you are able to lift some quite large chunks of iron.

Deadlifting three times a week would probably be overkill for most folks who are past the beginning phase in their lifting career (ie. at a stage where most find that they can hold more weight with an over-over grip than they can lift with their back). During 15s and 10s, deadlifting two or three times a week might be OK for some but during 5s, once or twice a week would generally be a better plan. You could always alternate deadlifts and squats, particularly as you aren't trying to develop your legs, so you would deadlift twice one week and once the next.

I think I might put the press and upright rowing later in the workout just so that benching/dipping and rowing/chinning aren't compromised by fatigued tris and bis. Also, if you have any shoulder issues (and even if you haven't) it's good to really warm them up before hitting them hard, so doing your other upper-body compounds first will help with that.

All the best with the 5s (it might be worth doing two sets for at least some of the exercises during 5s if you really want to get more from them). If that gets too much, drop some of the isos at the end.</div>

Thanks for your comments Lol.

I actually included deadlifts in my workout, but I didn't include it in my post. This is because I felt overtraining even by the 2nd 10-rep workout (increasing in 15 pound increments). So I stopped. I know I could have kept on deadlifting if I didn't do anything else, but deadlifts and rows in one workout is just too much for me. Especially as things get heavy.

Here is why I like lat raises. The reason is unscientific but simple: no other shoulder exercise gives me the same visual feedback! After lat raises, but shoulders become visually wider and fuller, much more so than after BB press or DB press.

And I do preacher usually after a really heavy BB curl set (with controlled cheating).

I'm feeling quite tired these days, so I'm going to decrease my starting weights more than I have planned for my 5-rep cycle.

My 10-rep cycle has hit me harder than I thought
ghostface.gif

yeah id get those deads back in there and drop at least one of the lateral raises. edit drop the front raises not sides.

they arent really that good for mass only the visual pump.reducing some of the ancillary exercises will allow you to push harder in your compounds without over training.

I disagree about ditching the laterals.  Keep 'em they are great for deltoid mass!
The weights are small, but the load is not since the lever is much longer than a press. (whole arm lever vs. humerus only lever).
You might want to drop one or the other though of the deltoid exercises.
Personally I think overhead presses are the best for anterior deltoids, and laterals I like the best for medial deltoids, you can drop the upright rows and front raises since these target the exact same muscle.

I think you only need one anterior delt move and one medial delt move and maybe throw in a posterior delt move, like bent laterals, for shoulder balance.

Also drop one pectoral exercise, three is a bit much maybe as faz pointed out.  And two curling movements is unecessary, (the biceps are small and simple)...I don't even hardly curl as chinups/pullups/etc. do the trick.

My recommendation
Squats (1)
Press (1)
Bent-over BB rows (1)
Bench press (1)
Weighted dips (1)
Weighted pull ups (1)
Lateral raises (1)
or upright rows if you prefer, one or the other)
DB curl / BB curl (1)
BB lying tricep extensions (1)
*(only one set needed, if that even, I find dips and presses destroy my triceps without need for isolation work....especially dips they are my favorite exercise lately, since they hit BOTH pecs and triceps better than anything else all at once!
cool.gif

Maybe throw in some bent laterals if you feel like it, although rows will work your rear delts pretty well depending on your form/structure.

My recommendation :
DeadLift
Bench Press or Dips
T-bar Rows
Army Press

Deep Squats
Incline Bench Press
Chins

Avi is as close to what I recommend as possible.

K.I.S. rule.

Simplify and win, use the most effective compounds.

Do isos only where absolutely necessary, then play around with volume and frequency till you find what works best for you!
wink.gif

i would normally agree fausto,but he is only doing one set but two different exercises each muscle group,so basicly two sets per muscle,i would go along with sci on the workout,and for delts remember the b-o-r works the rear delts ok.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

This forum is fantastic. Great to see different viewpoints.

I will modify accordingly!

Back