Please critic my routine

mech

Hi everyone
This is my first HST program and I am in my first week of 15s – I thought it best I ask advice of my routine before I carry on with it. I hope this is the correct place to post and I am sure this type of question is asked many times so I apologise in advance

For 15's I plan on doing 2 sets, 3 sets for 10s 3sets for 5's not sure for negs at this point. Monday I perform A, Wednesday B and Friday back to A.

A
Exercises
Squat
Flyes
Incl Bench
Forarm
Military Press
Rear Delt Machine
DB Shurgs
Z bar Curls
Tri Push Downs
Donkey Calf Machine

B
Exercises
RDP
Leg Curls
Incl Bench
Dips
Forarm
DB Lateral Raise
Seated Row
DB Shurgs
Hammer Curls
Skull Crusher
Donkey Calf Machine

Thank you

A
Exercises
Squat
Incl Bench
chins
Military Press
DB Shurgs
Donkey Calf Machine

B
Exercises
RDP
Leg Curls
Dips
DB Lateral Raise
Seated Row
DB Shurgs
Donkey Calf Machine

not sure what you mean by rdp,but this workout is better IMO.

Thanks Faz

RDP spelling mistake, it’s the Romanian deadlift

I was concerned I was doing too many exercises, but with your revised workout, there seems to be nothing for the arms?

Thanks again

Hey mech, just a few thoughts:

If you're doing RDLs why bother with Leg Curls? For that matter, why not regular deads for your B session? They still work your hams really well plus you have the added benefit of possible extra loading. Then you can skip the DB shrugs for that session too. If you also add a static hold after your final rep, you'll do more for your grip strength and forearms than all the wrist curly variations put together. Heavy chins, pull-ups and rows work wonders too.

Personally, I'd do a press variation for session B rather than db laterals - how about db press?

Add in some arm work if you fancy it at the end. You're actually already doing plenty of arm work in the compounds, but a set of two of a couple of arm isos shouldn't hurt your progress and if you like doing them it might just help. Do some kind of curl and a tricep extension. Try to pick isos that add more stretch than the compounds - not essential but might well improve the training effect.

Also, take a look at the Simplify & Win thread (link in footer) if you get a chance.

Thank you LOL very informative. I have started to read the thred, lots of good info.

My revised plan with the help of yourself and Faz

A
Exercises
Squat
Incl Bench
Chins Ups
Forarm
Military Press
Z bar Bicep Curls
Tricep Push Downs
Donkey Calf Machine

B
Exercises
Dead Lift
Dips
Forarm
DB Press
Seated Row
Hammer Curls
Skull Crusher
Donkey Calf Machine

I’m thinking of dropping forarms but not sure, I just don’t want to over train a muscle really..
I just seems strange that less is more, hard to get your head around
Thanks again though.

Just for a little perspective, you are doing Bench Press, Military Press AND Triceps Push Down, 2 sets of 15, 3 times a week. That means 270 reps of triceps per week. I think you should try at least for a cycle to do the opposite of what most muscle magazines tell you to do and drop isos. Really, drop them. If you don't like the results pick them up again and insult me, but give it a try. Weighted chins and deadlifts will work your forearms well. Bench, dips and presses will work your triceps. Rows and Chins will work your biceps.
Your milage may vary, you may be a long time lifting veteran who is used to lots of volume, in which case I'd probably recommend dropping the isos just as well if only for a change of pace.
If you feel you need more volume (and by "feel" I mean you are tracking your progress and not growing although your diet, rest and all other variables are in check) then you can add sets of compounds instead of isos.

Thank you for the advice Electric

I am not new to the gym, but I guess I am new at doing things correctly for the first time, ie a proper plan, including diet, training, sleep etc. I have a few problem areas which I would like to improve such as my calves, tri and biceps. I got to nearly 12 stone with around 13% body fat and looked pretty good, but then crap happens in life one after the other, my friend died, I got severe food poisoning and then swine flue all in 6 months and my muscle and weight dropped off me, a very disheartening moment walking into the gym to be told you’re skinny and your strength has gone. I am now nearly 11 stone, I did lose just shy of 2 stone.

Anyway enough of this is my life.  
smile.gif

I see what you mean now about over working the triceps and Biceps, I just don’t want my tiny arms anymore. I will cut the isos out and see how I get on. I do like the wide grip chins for the lats, not that I can do that many now, I did get good results from that exercise....

Thanks again for your help, I will rejig my routine

Good luck with your routine, you'll probably enjoy the benefits of muscle memory and get some tail-wind regaining these 2 lost stones of body weight.

Get a big deadlift, a big row, a big weighted chin, a big bench, and a big dip and you will have some very respectable guns.

Because we only have a finite amount of energy for any session, it's often a good idea to strip out any isos for muscle groups that are already covered by compounds (usually arms) and then add them back in to finish up if you still have the energy to do them.

Get an extra 500 cals over your BMR per day while on this cycle and you'll claw back about 1lb a week without adding too much fat. Like electric said, muscle memory will be your friend.

Thanks again guys you really have been a great help and it’s greatly appreciated

I actually feel pumped about going to the gym now with clear focus and goals
smile.gif
- just got meself a new dip belt...

My new routine is now

A
Exercises
Squat
Incl Bench
Chins Ups - Weighted
Military Press
DB Shurg
Donkey Calf Machine

B
Exercises
Dead Lift
Dips - Weighted
DB Press
Seated Row
Donkey Calf Machine

Sounds like a plan! If you feel your upper back is taking a beating on B workouts due to both deadlifts and rows, try switching chins with rows.

<div>
(electric @ Dec. 01 2009,9:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sounds like a plan! If you feel your upper back is taking a beating on B workouts due to both deadlifts and rows, try switching chins with rows.</div>
Thanks again Electric I was just thinking I wasn’t doing enough back in A workouts

Yeah, I would switch rows and chins too. So chins go with deads and rows go with squats. If you don't feel you've done enough back work for A sessions, just do another set of rows.

One other thing: I think if I did things over again I would make room for some core conditioning exercises on a regular basis: ghd sit-ups (roman chair sit-ups), hanging leg raises (toes to bar) and ghd hypers (back extensions).

I always found that although my lower back got strong from all the deads, squats and rows that it would get fatigued quickly if I had to do much bending and flexing. A little extra more direct, higher-rep, higher-ROM work seems to help. I would throw it in right at the end of a workout. It's quick to do and the benefits over time, whilst not visible, will definitely be helpful in daily life.

By the way, if you try toes-to-bar for a set of 10 and find them hard to do, flex at the knees and pull and lift them up as high as possible. If you use straight legs, unlock them at the knees a little and try to use as much control as you can during the ROM. A little body English won't hurt to get a rep started but try not to turn it into a body swinging movement as that defeats the purpose of the exercise.

Thanks again LOL

I used my revised plan for Wednesday’s session and WOW I could really feel my back getting a good workout. I also took your advice on some conditioning exercise which really helped.

Just need to take some pictures now for a before and after
smile.gif

Back