PLEASE critique my plan

thebestrussian

hey everyone, ANY feedback is appreciated:
thank you all in advance.

vitals:
170 lbs.
11 % bf
20 years old
1 year lifting experience (Max-OT style)
taking in >3000 kcal daily

rep schemes (2 weeks each):
15/10/5/continuation of 5 RM (maybe adding weight)

set schemes:
2 sets for both weeks of 15's
2 sets for 1st week of 10's
1 set for 2nd week of 10's
2 sets for 1st week of 5's
1 set for 2nd week of 5's
2 sets for both weeks of 5 RM

exercises:
Squat
DB Bench Press/Dips
SLDL (always 1 set)
Pull-ups (always 1 set)
Seated Military Press
T-Bar Rows
Skullcrushers
Preacher Curls
Decline Weighted Crunches
Calf Raises

Looks pretty good to me! The only thing I'd think about changing is the rep scheme- you might try 1 set through the 15s, 2 through the 10s, and 3 through the 5s, maybe adding in dropsets for the same body parts at that point. This is just a suggestion, though!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake @ June 27 2005,10:27)]Looks pretty good to me! The only thing I'd think about changing is the rep scheme- you might try 1 set through the 15s, 2 through the 10s, and 3 through the 5s, maybe adding in dropsets for the same body parts at that point. This is just a suggestion, though!
thanks a lot for the input, i was just following the set scheme that bryan outlined in the FAQ.

i just dont think my body can handle 90 sets/week on the 5's (10 exercises * 3 sets each * 3 sessions/week).

should i cut down my exercise selection to accomodate that (eg: alternate squats/SLDLs every session)?

It looks good. You can try doing two sets in the 15s, but it can be hard. If you are going to do two sets, then I would suggest that on the second set of each exercise, if you feel you are approaching failure then you should terminate that set. The second set really isn't that important anyway in comparison to the first set.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ June 28 2005,12:05)]It looks good.  You can try doing two sets in the 15s, but it can be hard.  If you are going to do two sets, then I would suggest that on the second set of each exercise, if you feel you are approaching failure then you should terminate that set.  The second set really isn't that important anyway in comparison to the first set.
thanks a lot. that's what i've been doing intuitively so far.

i'm in my second week of the 15's, i'll only do 1 set for the rest of this week.

also, i have to miss a workout because of vacation, and i usually lift monday/wednesday/friday... would it be fine for me to make up the missed workout on a tuesday, or would that affect recovery issues?

Recovery is not an issue. You can move workout days, that is fine. You don't have to take a day off between workouts if it is not convenient or if you don't want to.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ June 28 2005,9:23)]Recovery is not an issue.  You can move workout days, that is fine.  You don't have to take a day off between workouts if it is not convenient or if you don't want to.
Tot, you're saying you can work out two days in a row if your body doesnt feel tired?
Also, up above you said you should teriminate teh 2nd set during 15's if you are approaching failure. I do that on my 2nd set during all the rep schemes. Is that ok?
Thanks

You can work out every day as long as you don't reach failure or don't start to overtrain. A lot of people do more than three times a week without any problems.

Terminating the second set during any rep scheme is pretty much okay, in my opinion. You can also break the set apart to make it manageable if you feel bad about just ending it. So if on your second set of 10, you only get to 5 reps, you can rest and then do the remaining 5 reps.

Thanks, I dont want to work out in consecutive days consistently. Its just that i work out 3 days a week on M-W-F and since I have off this Monday for the 4th of July I would just like to sleep a little late and relax. SO just for next week I want to work out Tuesday-Wedesday-Friday.

That should be ok, right?

THANKS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigL @ June 28 2005,8:43)]Thanks, I dont want to work out in consecutive days consistently. Its just that i work out 3 days a week on M-W-F and since I have off this Monday for the 4th of July I would just like to sleep a little late and relax. SO just for next week I want to work out Tuesday-Wedesday-Friday.
THANKS
lol, i just asked the same question 3 posts above.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (thebestrussian @ June 28 2005,10:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigL @ June 28 2005,8:43)]Thanks, I dont want to work out in consecutive days consistently. Its just that i work out 3 days a week on M-W-F and since I have off this Monday for the 4th of July I would just like to sleep a little late and relax. SO just for next week I want to work out Tuesday-Wedesday-Friday.
THANKS
lol, i just asked the same question 3 posts above.
oops, missed that. ;)

Back