Please critique my workout

hah2110

Please critique my workout. I'm skipping the 15RMs as suggested by other members. My concern here is that I won't be incrementing nearly ever workout. You will also see that, in some cases, I am shooting for slightly above my max. Right now, this is only worked out for the 10RM plan and will do 5RM after. My concern is definitely the lack of increasing weights but I can't get around that.

View attachment 2046

Last edited:
HI Hah2110

My feel is you are doing way too much per training day, 13 exercises, you could easily split that in two and get the benefits.

I'm not going to ask why leg press/leg curl when squats and deads are so much more profitable, that is your choice.

Make a A/B type program, split your stuff, then attack the program like that and see what you get.

Also I feel that 15's are important, if you have not tried HST before why skip it? Because someone suggested it? Believe me, if you do them your 5's will go much better and you will have more "wind in your bag".

Try the suggestion and let us know how it goes.

As long as you increase the load over time it adheres to HST principles. Your program is a bit lengthy though which may make for long sessions. As a rule shoot for 45 min to an hour max per session. Check out the Simplify and Win sticky ed if you get a chance. Good luck

Thanks grunt..been quiet...even in the gym!

Just getting back now, trying late night workouts quick and to the point!

Yep HST as always. ;)

HI Hah2110

My feel is you are doing way too much per training day, 13 exercises, you could easily split that in two and get the benefits.

I'm not going to ask why leg press/leg curl when squats and deads are so much more profitable, that is your choice.

Make a A/B type program, split your stuff, then attack the program like that and see what you get.

Also I feel that 15's are important, if you have not tried HST before why skip it? Because someone suggested it? Believe me, if you do them your 5's will go much better and you will have more "wind in your bag".

Try the suggestion and let us know how it goes.

Thank you! I have the gas to do it in one workout. I'm also doing the specific exercises recommended on the HST set, in the format suggested. Right now, going to the gym 6x/week doesn't work for me. My issue with the 15s is how light the weight becomes. Maybe you could check this thread out for me: http://thinkmuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?41160-Confusion/page4 and see where it was recommended I skip the 15s?

Granted...but then stick to your rest religiously!

You should be fine...the 15's get light? Slow them down, like really slow, they'll get heavy, they are not there to be heavy anyway, but to flush your system with lactic acid so that you can take the beating during the 5's and negs.

I had the same doubts about the 15's, but you will KNOW when you get to the 5's that it was a good idea. Heavy lifting is hard on tendons/joints and you gotta give them maintenance.

If the 15s feel to light, then start them out at 80% of your 15 RMs. You won't think they are light by the time you are two weeks in.

That does look like a lengthy program but the sample HST program is set up like that in order to illustrate that it can be just as effective as a traditional bodypart split. One thing to keep in mind is that you should be only doing 1-2 sets of each exercise if you are using the sample program. Higher volume is meant for programs with fewer lifts in each session.

If the 15s feel to light, then start them out at 80% of your 15 RMs. You won't think they are light by the time you are two weeks in.

That does look like a lengthy program but the sample HST program is set up like that in order to illustrate that it can be just as effective as a traditional bodypart split. One thing to keep in mind is that you should be only doing 1-2 sets of each exercise if you are using the sample program. Higher volume is meant for programs with fewer lifts in each session.

Ok.... Stuck to the 15s, see attached. View attachment 2047

Ok.... Stuck to the 15s, see attached. View attachment 2047

Looks good, now with assisted dips, most machines tell you how much they are subtracting from your weight. Example you weigh 200 lbs and setting 10 subtracts 50 lbs. You can call that 150 lbs that you are dipping. This allows you to figure out a max and then progress the load by using less assistance over time.

Looks good, now with assisted dips, most machines tell you how much they are subtracting from your weight. Example you weigh 200 lbs and setting 10 subtracts 50 lbs. You can call that 150 lbs that you are dipping. This allows you to figure out a max and then progress the load by using less assistance over time.

Ok, and I should stick to 1 x 15, 2 x 10, 3 x 15?

I'm assuming you meant 3x5. That works fine. You can also use Bryan's recommendation of 2 sets the first week and 1 set the second week for each rep range. Up to you.

Back