Please explain why 15s arent for growth

I realize that hst is based on increment, rep changes, and weight changes. According to this, 15, 10, and 5s should all contribute to equal growth. I dont understand what makes 15s more for joint relief than growth? Is it because 15 is too many reps, or the weight we use for 15s are too light?

When you use that many reps you get more lactic acid build up which aids in tendon repair and stuff like that. If your SD was long enough you should still be able to grow during the 15s though. Remember to make sure and get a good burning sensation during the 15s too.

Simply because the 15s are rather light, they typically won't cause as much growth as the 5s. Personally, I like to skip the 15s and just do them every third cycle or so to keep the joints working.

The load is extremely light. Even with a proper SD, the 15's aren't there for growth - that's just an added bonus. Their purpose is to prime joints and connective tissues for the heavier loading.

In all honesty, I don't see why higher rep work can't be done in conjunction with lower rep work in the same session. Either way, it's supposed to support angiogenisis, and you can still flush the muscles with lactate.

Possible throwing in one or two burning sets after lower rep work, at the end of your session, in order to protect the joints would work.

Like some people on the forum, I always lose about 5 pounds on the SD. :mad:

I always get it back by the last 15 workout. I wouldn't skip the 15's because I would start the 10's at the lower bodyweight. I'd rather start the 10's at the previous bodyweight because for me, the 10's are the most productive.

Anyway, I know the weight gain is mostly to muscle memory, but the 15's are still stimulating growth, if not, I would not gain the muscle back.

I think as long as there is a sufficient SD and you don't go absurdly low the first few workouts, then you should be stimulating growth. This is probably more true with the compounds. For example, my first squat workout in the 15's is 350.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chthonian @ Aug. 19 2005,7:01)]
"In all honesty, I don't see why higher rep work can't be done in conjunction with lower rep work in the same session."

You can. I believe its called drop-sets, but it's not recommended for every workout. Just 1 or 2 a week.

I actually enjoy the 15s. The pump I get from them is great even though it's a light weight. It also builds up my endurance a little bit which makes the heavier weights easier when I get to them.

Back