PO, time and time again.

Camss

I realize this question has been asked time and time again; infact theres something on the same page about it but i'm still a bit confused.....about progressive overload in regards..

i'm going to be starting HST next week( doing sd right now)

But this seems to be a big phychological barrier to me.

So my 10rep max Flat Bench is currently 225X10.

So I would build up to that over 6 meso cycles... 185X10 195X10 205X10 215X10 220x10 225x10

I just don't see how doing 185X10 for 2 sets then 195X10 the next workout etc.

Which is going to provide absolutly no challenge to my chest...and even when i hit the 6th workout i'm only aiming for 225X10 which i already know I can do and thats only 1 time in 2 weeks. I'm just having difficuitly seeing how thats going to progress me.

Now i'm not trying to bash HST, because ive been reading alot of good reveiws and it looks like a solid program. And I sorta understand the Idea in thoery.....because I did German Volume Training and it sorta seems like it might be a bit similiar....doing very light weight 60-70reps or so with very little difficuilty and then not hitting fatigue tell near the end.

I Had very good results with GVT and understood that the first 60-70ish reps were a cruical part althouhg they may have seemed useless..

However with difference with GVT you were still hitting failure by the end.

Don't misunderstand me i'm in no way shape or form comparing these two programs, just using that as an exmple to understand the idea of how it works better.

Thanks Much.

yes, it cleared things up quite nicely, thank you. Though still seems like a bit of a leap of faith for me. Only way to find out is to try it guess ill see :D.

Who Dares, Wins.

I agree with you and I had great trouble taking that leap of faith. So much so I often skipped or shortened the 15s which if you are fit might not be a problem but my doing it let to tendonitis so now I always include high rep work.

If your already in pretty good lifting shape then skipping the 15s might not be a problem, but it’s still hard to wrap ones head around the idea of not pushing it to the limit every set.

If sub-maximal workouts do nothing to challenge the muscle, then I guess I made all my size and strength gains through magic. I know you read the FAQ and if you read the HST article, Bryan sites his sources at the end of the article, but if scientific proof doesn't do it for you, well then just look around on these forums. There are plenty of us who are a decent size, who have a decent strength level and got there using HST principles.

I find the rest and tempo varies throughout the whole cycle depending on whether your on 15's, 10's, or 5's and can also vary again with different exercises depending on the order you do them.

I set my timer at 90 seconds, and if I feel I can complete the next set with less rest, I just go for it. If I need a bit more rest I may go to 2mins max. Any longer can keep you in the gym too long especially on the 5's.

Hope this helps.

Isn't what is being stated in that link against what Blade now believes WRT myo-reps?

Myo-reps is based on getting to a point of fatigue and then continuing with 'effective' reps but the link seems to suggest that ONLY mechanical load and the tissues condition is important.
Blade obviously now believes that the last few reps are more important or effective than the first few. Or more accurately, that getting to type II fiber activation and sustaining it for a sufficient TUT is more optimal for hypertrophy.

Actually, I remember asking Bryan many moons ago on the old board about how hard one should be working and (paraphrasing) he said that one should be 'working hard' and the last few reps should be challenging, that when the load is lighter and it is too easy one should do more reps or slow down the rep speed or do more sets. Basically, that is when all the talk about stopping the set when rep speed slows started being talked about. So not training to failure, as that will limit volume and frequency, but still coming a rep or two shy.

I think slowing down the rep speed would be ok during the early 15's because were are primarily looking for lactic acid build up but given that fast lifting has the potential to activate type II fibers it shouldn't be used beyond the 15's. Given the newer data that Blade designed myo-reps on, I think that a combination of doing more reps and more sets (or mini-sets as in myo-reps case) is the best option.

As an aside, does anyone know what Bryan is up to these days? Is he still involved with HST. It seems he has abandoned ship :eek:

You'll notice that a lot of what is actually implemented with regards to HST has evolved since the FAQs were written. But the basics still hold true. Yes, when working with higher reps/lighter loads, in order to get full muscle activation, fatigue is required. Once you get over a certain threshold wrt to % of 1 RM, you get full activation much sooner so fatigue becomes less important. In HST, the goal is progression over the course of the cycle. Going too hard in the beginning can possibly cause some not to make it through the cycle which is one reason why there was such a heavy emphasis on fatigue not being necessary. The other reason they stress it so much in the FAQs is because many people back then were coming from a background of training that believed fatigue to be the growth stimulus. Obviously these days most people know better. Fatigue can have it's uses. However, the point of HST is that it is not the primary growth stimulus and in reality - no, it is not the primary growth stimulus.

So i'm soon will be finishing my first cycle of 10's have 2 worksouts left. I skipped the 15's, should i do soemthing else in between the 5's? or should i just do 10/5/5(drops) and do one less cycle?

Back