Post fives phase

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_etothepii
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_etothepii

So in pullups, body weight +30 lbs is too heavy for me to get 5 reps. The first time I tried, I got two reps, then did three negs. Same thing for all three sets. Pretty standard.

The next time, I did rep/rest/rep/rest, etc. I did that for 5 reps, rested, then did it for two more sets. So it wasn't really max-stim. If it were, I would have done all 15 reps without breaking it up into sets, right?

Well anyway, I was happy with that process. I figure I got all the stress on the eccentric that I would have gotten doing "neg's" but I did the "up" motion too, for what it's worth.

Some confusion there E. - maxstim is a rep then a rest then a rep then a rest and so forth.
It sounds like you did a cluster set then a rest, then a cluster and so forth. That's good too, it's just another principle to get there. Search for "cluster" or "clustering" and read those threads for details. Evidently you gained strength, since you couldn't do five before. Rock on, bro! You're doing great!

Sounds like clustering to me, and I should know.

Seriously though when I was doing straight HST some of the best results I ever had was with clustering the 10's and 5's (especially the 5's).

Well that's kind of what I meant when I said "bastardized max-stim."

I always thought of clustering as doing as many as you can, rest, do more, etc...

I could probably do 2 reps, rest, do 2 more, rest, then do one. Instead, I rest after each rep (like max stim), even though I don't need to. But i also do larger rests after 5 reps, breaking the exercise into sets of 5 too.

Back