Power Cleans in the 15 & 10 rep ranges

dirtyc

Every program I've ever seen where Power Cleans are recommended, they're specified at fairly low rep ranges (3-5 reps being the most common). I may have seen some recos for as much as 8 reps, but never higher than that.

Do you suspect there is a reason for that?
Is there something particularly dangerous about doing high reps (10 or more) of Power Cleans (and all OL for that matter)?

I've also never seen anyone describe PCs in their HST routine. That also is cause for concern. However, they are such a great compound movement and seem well suited to the HST "compound exercises triumph" philosophy.

Should I axe them?

Some people have done power cleans in the past during their cycles. However, as you surmised, you'll probably want to avoid them during the 15s at the very least due to the fact that your form can easily break down as you become fatigued throughout the set. Getting an injury is not something you need. When I decided to do some of the olympic lifts during HST, I eventually had decided to not do them until the 5s and use a different lift in place during the 15s and 10s.

Back