power lifting with hst principles

xarfox

hey, i made a new routine that is a hybrid of some hst principles, strength training, power lifting, and some stuff that boxers do

my question is that monday and friday we do powerlifting and i was wondering if the volume is too much, should i change this around:

power clean x 3 6-8rep
bench press x 3 6-8rep
squat x 3 6-8rep
deadlift x 2 6-8 rep

also on these days i do some weighted ab work and a little jump rope

thanks

Volume looks alright, are you going to increase loads and reduce reps?

If you do, you could milk such a cycle for a spell till you get to 3's or so.
wink.gif

i spent a lot of time doing low rep work with my strength training (5x5). now i want to do some higher rep work 6-8 reps for the exercises i mentioned above. plus on wednesdays i do all lighter work with high reps and isolation & bodyweight exercises

i know hst has all these ideas about 15, 10, 5 reps, and i've done quite a few HST cycles without much success. i'm not sure if working with those rep cycles had any benefit for me

in order to maintain progressive load however, all exercises start off light and end heavy, and i will increase weights as needed if it gets too easy. then after 8 weeks i will take off a week or so and reset.

i would be afraid to do 3 reps with power cleans
smile.gif
that is some heavy weight to be throwing around

Power cleans are generally considered a low rep (1 to 5) excercise due to it being about speed.

You say you've done a few HST cycles without much success. Can you detail what you did. Unless you area lifting a lot, e.g. chin and bench 2*body weight, squat 2.5 times bodyweight, I fail to see why you wouldn't make gains on a good program such as HST.

I agree with csx, lets see what you did, you should've been gaining!

Include your nutrition details as this could be the problem!
wink.gif

Back