Power Partials and HST

Wildman

Been thinking a bit about what to do during the last two weeks after the normal 5s cycle. I had planned on using negatives where possible, 3X3 and milk squats (Max-Stim). I am toying with the idea of incorporating power partials as well. At least for some of the lifts that do not lend themselves well to negatives.

I have discussed this technique applied to powerlifting before in the strength training forum. I am bringing this up so that others can see yet another alternative for lifting progressively heavier weights in the final weeks of HST. This is another alternative to negatives which a solo lifter can implement.

There are several ways to apply the technique but I have narrowed this down to the two that I think would best fit a limited two week cycle. Below are examples of how it can be implemented but you can certainly imagine other ways as well. Normally in powerlifting I would use a target 1 RM weight at the end of my normal weight training and slowly over time increase the range of motion until that weight became my 1 RM weight.

The first is to continue your working set past the point of concentric failure with partial reps. An example would be to increase your ending 5 rep weight by 5 - 20 pounds depending upon how strong you finished the 5s. Perform as many strict reps as possible with this weight. So maybe you get to 3 reps. Either set the weight down or hold it depending upon the lift for 3 - 5 seconds then continue the set using only 50% of your full range of motion until near failure. Rest once more for another 3 - 5 seconds and finish out the set using only 25% of your full range of motion. You can even go to a final effort of 10% range of motion after one final rest. If you are able to complete all five reps with this weight normally you will quickly increase the weight slightly before moving to the power partials. In this way you can continue to progress through the remainder of the cycle.

The second would be to simply add the power partial work at the end of your normal sets or in place of your last sets. An example would be to perform all of your normal working sets for the 3s or 5s. Once completed you would then perform an extra set or two of power partial work. The same principle will apply here as above. Pick a weight above your normal 3s or 5s weight and perform reps with 50% of your full range of motion. Work til near failure and rest 3 - 5 seconds before continuing to reps in 25% of your full range of motion. As above you can even go to a final effort of 10% range of motion after one final rest. You will still keep trying to add weight each session to your normal 3s or 5s work and adjust the weight up in your power partials sets accordingly.

I have used both techniques above with great success in the past and I believe they would fit well into the HST protocol as well. This will let you work with even higher poundages beyond your normal tolerance and still stay short of total failure if applied correctly.

Notes: Some lifts are easier to do power partials in the upper range of motion than in the lower range. For example a squat can easily be done in the upper range but very difficult to achieve a power partial in the lower range due to balance and the lack of stretch reflex used at the bottom of the lift coming out of the rack. But many lifts can be done in either range without too much trouble. For those lifts where I can easily choose I may pick the range that best works the weaker portion of my regular lifts to blast past my normal sticking points.

<div>
(Wildman @ Sep. 24 2008,2:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I had planned on using negatives where possible, 3X3 and milk squats (Max-Stim).</div>
I don't think milk squats and Max-Stim are at all the same animal. Milk Squats call for 20 heavy squats without setting the bar down. Max-Stim also calls for 20 heavy squats, but the bar gets set down after every rep. There is a pause (not a rest-pause) of up to 30 seconds with no weight at all in your hands.

I do Max-Stim squats regularly, once or twice a week, but I don't think I could survive doing milk squats at all.

The principle is very much the same though. M-Time in Milk Squats is merely an instinctive use of rest instead of a prescribed fixed amount of time. The example videos I have seen of Max-Stim lifts have all started out with a fixed rest period but towards the end the lifters all exceeded the rest time they started out using. I suppose having a guide line of a fixed rest time would keep you somewhat consistent though.

Milk Squats are used for more than just squat movements. Any movement can be done in this same way. This is why I equate Max-Stim to the Milk Squats routine. To me, Max-Stim seemed like a slightly new spin on a very old and effective technique. No offense to Max-Stim guys, just my opinion. Ill try and keep the two techniques seperate in my discussions since there are differences.

The main reason not to rack the weight with a squat is for convenience. Many people take quite a bit of time setting up to squat, centering the bar, setting it at the proper spot on the shoulder, getting as narrow a grip on the bar as possible to place the shoulder girdle in the correct form etc. I take at least fifteen seconds to setup myself, and that would be longer than I need to rest in the starting reps. Holding the weight over the course of the lift is certainly taxing on the core, no doubt. I would rack the weight to do bench presses Milk Squats style though.

Perhaps this old dog will try the new trick this time. I was planning on being instinctive about the rest time but I am open to trying Max-Stim style. I would just need to figure out what M-Time would be appropriate to use for a 15 rep set using my 5 RM weight plus 5 or ten pounds.

Wildman, as an experiment try doing the 20 reps with the same rest between reps but in one set holding the weight in the other deloading it. If Squats are too bothersome to be deloaded try with something simpler like bench press or maybe an OHP. This should show you the difference (or lack of) between the two methods.

Back