Practical Programming vs. HST

TheSeeker07

I'm currently reading practical programming by Mark Rippetoe. It states that you experience true hypertrophy at the 10-15RM, and that you must have high-volume. I'm sure some of the guys here have read this book, but I'm not sure how this falls in line with what HST states. Anyone care to explain?

I very much appreciate Rippetoe's coaching with regard to form. His videos are very helpful.

Practical Programming primarily deals with strength training. HST is "hypertrophy specific"; it deals with muscle growth. Although strength training can and usually will produce muscle growth, and HST can and usually will produce strength, the goals of the two programs are very different.

You will be helped no matter which you choose.

Who do you think is better than him then? I was under the impression he was a smart guy.

Yeah, I realize it is mostly about strength training but he seems to have some knowledge about it....or that's what it seemed.

Last edited:
I'm currently reading practical programming by Mark Rippetoe. It states that you experience true hypertrophy at the 10-15RM, and that you must have high-volume. I'm sure some of the guys here have read this book, but I'm not sure how this falls in line with what HST states. Anyone care to explain?
Personally I think each and every one of us is better than him as a personal coach if we make the effort to figure out what works for ourselves. Who knows how our bodies respond better than we do. That’s not to say he doesn’t provide good information, but anyone who says that if you don’t do exactly as I say you are going to f-up is IMO short sighted. For me the biggest difference between Ripptoe’s “Practical Programming” and HST is that HST is a set of universal principles that allow you to design what works best for you where as Ripptoe seems to me to say do as I say or else.

For example when I restarted weight training after a 15 year layoff I felt no need for what my intended goals were, to Squat every session. Based on my own experience I would rather Dead Lift than Squat, even Benching and doing Pull Ups will better reach my goals than focusing on Squatting. So I would rather have a set of guidelines that I can adjust to meet my needs rather than someone else workout routine no matter who it comes from.

Ok re-reading that is sounds sort of harsh and like I’m an HST fanboy, but if you look at my training log I’m in no way following any cookie-cutter HST routine. I’ve learned from what I’m reading and testing it out with myself to see what works best for me. But then I’ve always been labeled a not conformist. ;)

I don't see him as telling me what to do and how to do it exactly how it is...I see it as him giving me a guideline to help me achieve strength related goals.

I don't see him as telling me what to do and how to do it exactly how it is...I see it as him giving me a guideline to help me achieve strength related goals.
Then follow his program and don’t’ worry about it if it meats your goals. Isn’t that what it’s all about?

I've read it. And I've read other sources that state hypertrophy only occurs within the 6 - 12 rep range. I've also read that any load higher than 4RM will not stimulate hypertrophy because the sets are too short and rest between sets too long to fully activate muscle fibers. And I've read a bunch of other stuff that contradicts those articles. And all of them come from knowledgeable sources that have data/research to back up their ideas.

Who do you believe? Experience is really the best teacher for this sort of thing. There is no single answer. Different individual bodies respond differently. The overall trends might not apply to you; you have to see for yourself.

I've read it. And I've read other sources that state hypertrophy only occurs within the 6 - 12 rep range. I've also read that any load higher than 4RM will not stimulate hypertrophy because the sets are too short and rest between sets too long to fully activate muscle fibers. And I've read a bunch of other stuff that contradicts those articles. And all of them come from knowledgeable sources that have data/research to back up their ideas.

Who do you believe? Experience is really the best teacher for this sort of thing. There is no single answer. Different individual bodies respond differently. The overall trends might not apply to you; you have to see for yourself.
That makes sense, thanks!

Back