practising tuck planches and leevrs and effects on

ivo

Hey Guys,

I want to incorporate these tuck planches and levers again into my train for MA.

http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin....eid=229

they are high tension techniques, just wondering if the would nullify the gradual weight progression principle of HST? I only do them for a few seconds per set, but they are a high degree of tension?

ANy thoughts, opinions would be great. My gut feeling is to leave them for a strength cycle or the last 4 weeks (5's, negs) of HST.

cheers,
Ivo

Hey ivo, great article! I am going to get my lad to work on these exercises. He's really enjoying doing chins and pressups at the moment but planches and levers will take it to the next level. Looks like fun too.

Anyway, back to your question... I would have thought that if you alternated between static holds and a 3 x weekly HST w/o you may be ok. If you found that you were feeling particularly weak on an HST w/o day then spend less time on the static holds.

According to the article, the good thing is that there is progression in difficulty. So if you started at the easiest difficulty and worked from there it would definitely impact less on your HST w/os. If you are starting off at a more advanced stage then it may be that you will strain certain muscles more than during your initial HST w/os. So, in that case you might be better off waiting until you are starting 5s when the strain on the muscle tissue will be higher.

This is really just a hunch as I haven't tried planches or levers so I don't really know how much strain thay cause. I suppose it depends on bodyweight and time position is held to a large degree.

Let us know how you get on. It's all grist for the mill!
biggrin.gif

It really depends on how old you are. If you are not flexible to begin with and are around you teen or adult years, it can take a long time and dedication. It is also going to be more difficult to train a BB that weighs 250 pounds wheres the gymnist weighs maybe 90-160 pounds.

I was watching how they train people in the olympics in china, and they start them off at around the age of like
3 or 4.

I have been in taekwondo for 2 years and still cannot do even 140 degree splits.

Also, with that tuck, they worked with that kid for a rather long amount of time to get him to be able to do that on his own. Very few people have the courage/ability to even attempt a feat like that.

I would say get an instructor to work with you maybe after a session or even a friend can help.

What I would do is sretch 2 or more times a day and work your way up. If you wait until you finish your strength training, not only will you lose flexability, it will be even more difficult for you to become flexible.

Thanks Guys!

They are fun to do. Progess is slow but it happens- and quickly for the first month. The tension is incredible because you must tense virtually every muscle in the body otherwise you cannot hold the positions. You'll spend the first 2-3 days getting your balance on the planches then you're right. Theyre greta fro my kenpo and mma because it teaches muscular integration and strenghtens the jojts considerably. The problem is when a certain position gets easier, I try and make it harder to increase the tension. Perhaps I wll leave them for 5's. They also fry your pecs and lats in a different way to trad weights.

Ivo

Back