pre-exhaust sets to save my shoulders

jwbond

I started super-setting pre-exhaust sets before some uppder body compounds (e.g. db flies before bench) to lessen the abuse on my shoulders (my most recent 5's killed them!). My shoulders already feel better since I can't do the same weight on my compounds, but I am concerned this is a bad idea right now since I am cutting.

I know it is good to keep the weight up while cutting, is this a bad idea?

i dont think it will hurt at all.i like the idea of priming the muscle with a pre-exaust set,gets the blood in there,ready for the full on set.

I got the idea from Mike Mentzer. I like a lot of his thinking and apply some of it to my HST.

btw lcars, your arms looked jacked in your avatar. I am nearing in on my lifetime goal of 17" @ 10% bf. What weight, height, bf, and arm size are you in the avatar?

in my avy(last year),im 6ft 220@13% 17" arms.

now im still 6ft lol,215@12% 17 1/2" arms,chasin 18s but got plenty of work to do yet.i also want my bodyfat down to 10% but ive got atleast another year bulking first.

well the arms look great in the avatar! I don't feel like mine are anywhere near that defined (currently at 214lbs in the morning at 12-13% bf).

How much do you think the photoshop color effect enchanced the definition (if at all)?

I think someone should mention there is a difference between a "warm-up" exercise and a "pre-exhaustion" exercise. They're actually the exactly oposite in purpose.

A warm up exercise is designed to warm up the muscle, get the blood pumping there etc.

A pre-exhaustion exercise is designed to fatigue the muscle, back when they believed that fatigue had something significant to do with hypertrophy. Today its been proven it pretty much doesn't.

It may just be a terminology thing, but what you want to do is a warmup set to save your shoulders, doing true pre-exhaust work will actually make you weaker for the main exercise.

I'm suprised your shoulders don't feel worse after doing that. It's like going to the tanning bed before going to lay out at the beach. Like Peak said... if you are just doing a warm-up then completely disregard what I said.

The HST Faq is a great resource...I seem to recall Bryan makes his opinion of pre-exhaustion known there
wink.gif

JW

Forgive for butting in here, but it seems to me your best bet would be to do some rotator cuff work, I think Steve has a good thread with links in here somewhere.

There's nothing like L-flyes and a few other rot cuff exercises to "fix" your shoulders.

IMO pre-exhaust will just leave you weaker for the main exercise and whilst that is ok during cutting, it is robbing you of a good compound exercise.

Thanks for the input everyone! I will stop doing the pre-exhaust immediatly, as most of you are confirming my worries about incorporating them.

Fausto, do you know the link for Steve's rotator cuff work thread?

Back