Preferred triceps isolation

Jester

Just seeking some thoughts on this.

I'm tossing up between skullcrushers, touching bar to top of head, not forehead (essentially) and overhead triceps extension, probably using a rope handle and cable-stack.

Dips are not a viable option at this stage. My compound pressing exercise is the flat bench.

I have recently trained with all of the above, and skullcrushers to the top of the head are hands down the best. I've actually been doing them with dumbells held together with a hammer-grip, I lower them to the top of the head until my triceps are good and stretched, then straighten my arms, trying to keep the triceps tension the whole time. Triceps have always been a strong point for me, so I never did isolations much for them, but I suspect that skullcrushers will help bring then to the next level.

Edit: best triceps compound: dips, but this was about isolations.

Last edited:
I don't really prefer tricep isolations, they are hard on the elbows. I would much rather do close grip bench or seated tricep dips. You said dips aren't an option right now though so I would probably go with skullcrushers with the caveat that they can be dangerous if done alone without a spotter and going heavy. This from the guy who benches in the heavier that 5RM range without a spotter, so obviously be smart about it and you won't hurt yourself. You know when your form is breaking down and it's time to terminate the set/cluster.

Skullcrushers hands down. I do dips on A sesh and skulls on the B. Ill be changing that to CGBP during the 5´s though as I dont like relying on spotters.

Just seeking some thoughts on this.

I'm tossing up between skullcrushers, touching bar to top of head, not forehead (essentially) and overhead triceps extension, probably using a rope handle and cable-stack.

Dips are not a viable option at this stage. My compound pressing exercise is the flat bench.

I'd say skull if you're not doing dips. And if you're doing skulls, try doing them on a decline bench or having your hands at a 45° angle rather than 90° on a flat. This will help ease the elbow pain most people experience doing them. By having your arms at a 45° and going past your forehead you put more emphasis throughout the entire set rather than standard skulls with 90° where you give your tris a rest at the top of each rep.

Overhead tri extension you could do with easy bar almost in the same way as skulls but either sitting down or standing up with your arms over your head and the bar going behind your head. If you're using rope, try using palms faced.

Back