Preffered mode of load progression

HST_Rihad

Imagine you hit your 5RM in an exercise. Do you simply add 5 lb and try that next w/o, or do you stick to that load until you can lift it 6-7 reps, and add 10 lb in one go? (or do you do something totally different?)

It looks like #1 would emphasize strength gains, and #2 would be kinda more bodybuildish because of the bigger leap (10 lb).

On a lift like military press, if add 5 pounds, on something heavy like a Deadlift, I'd add 10 pounds

(Other than deadlifts which I do on 5/3/1) I must work out more regimented, all of my weights are pre-calculated for the cycle based on the previous cycle's PRs. If it is too light I don't do extra reps and just progress next workout based on whatever the incremental load was scheduled for. My thought process is that at the end of the cycle I will retest my PRs and then my next cycle will use those numbers. If I have an explosion in strength it will happen at the PRs and then I can deal with it for the next cycle.

Deads and squats 10, everything else 5.

If it's a new PR I try and repeat the same weight for the next session to make sure I'm solid before moving up.

They're just different expressions of the same application (getting stronger). I find the former method to be more effective for both size gains, and strength gains. There's also less correlation between increasing the # of reps at a given load being effective at increasing your strength (ala the next increment).

Turning my 5RM (let's say 100kg again, it's nice and round) into by 6 or 7 or 8RM isn't necessarily going to make me stronger re: lifting 105 or 110kg. I may just be flattening the curve of my RMs. The idea for the latter (turning 5RM into 6,7,8RM etc) is that I'm going to be gaining size (increased CSA), which in turn will enable me to lift more once I learn to use that extra muscle (optimising neural adaption and function).

A guy in our gym who has been doing squats maybe once a week with 120-140kg (265-308 lb) @6 heavy reps per set for the past few months, and having never used loads above that (although he has done leg presses 240 kg (529 lb) occasionally), simply felt strong enough after the set, went ahead and added 20 kg (44 lb) to the squat - 160 kg (352 lb) and did 4-5 heavy reps with it in a comparable form. That's quite a huge jump, even more impressive is that the jump was made above his previous RM.

Last edited:
Additional: in terms of progression, I'll try and do 5kg jumps for small stuff, 10kg for big stuff. Sooner or later that has to taper down to a more sustainable gradient though.

Do you mean post 5-RM progression (except in eccentric-only exercises, where it's implied), or sub-maximal progression?

Last edited:
I tend to look at it this way. The 10s make you slightly better at 5s because of endurance, the 5s make you better at 10s because of heavier loads. Negatives make both 10s and 5s easier because you are used to heavier eccentric motions. They all compliment each other very well. Whenever I finish an HST cycle, I will add at least 5 pounds on each rep max. This seems to work out just perfect because by the time I get to my rep max I am barely able to lift it so I know I must be using decent increments. It gives everything a linear progression so I can predict my results better. I hope to increase my 5RM bench to 315, up for 285 within half a year. If I keep jumping up by 5 or 10 pounds each cycle, I will be there in no time.
Something I am also considering for my ever increasing load.. Maybe starting at a 15RM or 12 and not focusing on doing a certain rep scheme. Just increasing the weight ever workout until I eventually hit my 5RM again, then do some more negatives. Then starting over with everything bumped up and making sure I am hitting new RMs. Anyone have experience using HST in this fashion?

Do you mean post 5-RM progression (except in eccentric-only exercises, where it's implied), or sub-maximal progression?

Both.

Sub-maximal I'll take greater increments because of exercise alternation (i.e. A-B-A-B-A-B program split). Bryan has repeatedly stated that micro or macro incrementation is going to deliver you to the same place eventually.

For bench press I prefer smaller increments whenever I can't get a spotter (safety).

Back