Problems with bench press

oKu

Hi!
Actually I'm writing this on behalf of my friend. He has been working out for about 1.5 years now and it seems he can't bench more than 5x50 kg. The funny thing is he can do 5x70 kg on barbell row with strict form and 5x120 kg on deadlift. And he is making progress on all other exercises. He hasn't been able to add weight to his bps for about 8 months. What could be the problem?

He is currently doing an HST style program that is extended at the end with strength training. He has also tried regular split programs for a few months.
He once got to 5x52.5 kg, but then I guess he fried his CNS or something, because in the next heavy workout he only got 3x52.5 kg. That was about two months ago. Since then the problem has got even worse. Now he can't get even 5x50 kg.

What do you suggest?

He has already tried decreasing and increasing the number of sets and taking time off from training. He has also tried adding or replacing some sets with narrow grip bench presses, dumbell bps, and incline bps.

Need more info really. What is his routine? Bodyweight & height? Bodyfat ratio? Is he eating enough? Has he got any rotator cuff issues?

Eat more food. It's hard to gain strength on a maintenance diet. He will gain the most strength on bench if he focuses more on bench.

For maximum strength gains.  I have had the best results doing sets of 5 or less to about 20 reps, and done twice/week.

Have your buddy do 4 or 5 sets of 5 reps with 95% of his 5 rm.  Have hime do that twice/week and every other week add another 5% to the bar.

Week 1&2- 95% of 5rm
Week 3&4- 100% of 5rm
Week 5&6- 105% of 5rm (already strength will have increased enough to push his max higher.)
Week 7&8- 110% of 5 rm

If this becomes too heavy then do the reps max-stim style.  Do one rep, rest 5 to 25 seconds, do the second rep, rest again, etc. until all 20 to 25 reps have been completed.  If he is eating enough and sleeping enough I guarantee his bench will go up.  Doing something similar to this allowed my bench 5rm to go from 65 kg to 95 kg in 5 months (143 lb.s to 209 lb.s)

edit- (Oh yeah, as some other people here mention...I have recently added external rotator cuff exercises to my routine to help with shoulder balance, and it sounds like your friend may have weak extenal rotators.)

There's also the rotator cuff issue, I think it was Steve Jones that didn't do bench for 6 weeks, only strengthened rotator cuffs, and increased his max bench by like 6%

interesting...

Fausto where did you post that "rotator cuff conundrum" link, it had some great exes.

If the problem is only showing up in his pressing movements I would recommend reading this thread.

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....t=12738

I would have him test his external rotators to see if he has an imbalance.  You don't have to have any real symptoms to have an imbalance that will put a stop to being able to push more weight in pretty much any pressing movement.

Does your friend have no internet access? Or does he not speak english? Or is your friend you?
wink.gif
I am not asking for me, I am actually just asking for a friend who wants to know!
laugh.gif

This is the one I was thinking of, Fausto posted it in the "HST topics to keep" sticky in the general training forum.

Cracking the Rotator Cuff Conundrum

Its a long post so scroll down to about half way and you'll see exercises specifically for the rotators.

The one you posted looks pretty good too though lol, I'll have a read.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Oct. 25 2006,19:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Does your friend have no internet access? Or does he not speak english?  Or is your friend you?
wink.gif
  I am not asking for me, I am actually just asking for a friend who wants to know!
laugh.gif
</div>
Lol  
laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

You got me! I'm so ashamed I rather talk about &quot;my friend&quot; than admit I have problems.

No really... My friend is kind of lazy and he probably thinks if I can't help him, you guys can't either  
smile.gif

I'll try to convince him to come chat here in person.

Thanks anyway for the rotator cuff info. That could very well be the problem.

Wow..

I was just about to post a thread with the exact same question. I am stuck at 5x50KG too haha.

I'll definately be getting stuck into my rotator cuffs from here on. Thanks for the info guys, very helpful.

Back