Progression of Weights

Peak_Power

Hi I had a question about weight progression, the way I read HST is that you work out your 15RM, go back 6 workouts and increase the weight each workout, so the 6th is your 15RM, then work out your 10RM, and work back 6 and then increase.

One of the principles of HST is progessive increase of weight each workout, I was wondering if for instance (exagerated slightly to illustrate my point) that my 15RM was 50kg and my 10RM was 60kg, and I could only go back in 5kg increments, then my workouts would look like this:

15s: 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50
10s: 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60

Therefore the weight on the 1st day of 10s would be the same as the middle of the 15s, and less reps, therefore being much easier. I can actually go back in 2.5kg increments but the weight on the 1st day of 10s will still be lighter than my last few days of 15s, so load will be less. I'm more asking as a matter of using the right principle.

My question is do you continually increase weight from day 1, so automatically my 1st day of 10s would be 55kg, to increase from the time before, or do you go back to whatever weight is 6 workouts below your 10RM? Same question for 5RM too.

Some zig-zag is okay, but you can reduce it by repeating weights. I don't think you should go lower than 70% of your RM for each phase. Start at 70% or so and increment up to your RM in whatever fashion is most convenient.

It's okay to be doing less than your 15 RM for your first day of 10s, since in theory you may have gone to failure on the last day of the 15s, so the extra recuperation may help you.

Hmm so keeping the weight the same for a few sessions will aid progression (growth) while zig zagging will aid recovery/prevent injury, so just judge it on how you think your joints and CNS are after the max RM session?

It won't actually make much of a difference either way. What's important is to look at things in the long term and make sure you just have progression over the course of your entire cycle i.e. you are starting at 70% or so of your 15 RM your first day and ending with your 5 RM (or 2 RM maybe if you are doing negatives) at the completion of your cycle.

So... just increment whichever way is most convenient to you.

Perfect advice from Tot, quality control approved for sure!
laugh.gif

Back