Pros and cons of changing exercises ea cycle

Hardrock

What are the pros and cons of changing exercises each cycle? I know it is a highly individual thing as to which exercises work best for you, but there is a lot of conflicting information out there depending on which program you train with. Since I'm new to HST I would be interested in how this applies with this program.

Hardrock,

Cons, neural learning, less coincidental strength. These stongly relate to hypertrophy.

Pros, may work (if plane of motion is different) on different targets in same muscle group, relieves boredom. These do not strongly correlate to hypertrophy.

I was thinking of changing my exercises on my next cycle to do what I like to call my "corrective cycle". I noticed some serious imbalances that I would like to target for a cycle. Any objections? I still plan on keeping the core movements, squat, dead lifts, bench, etc but adding things like plate drags, prone rows, crunches, etc to strengthen whats falling behind. Also if I'm just trying to strengthen my abs and not get them bigger is ok to do situps (b/w only) everyday or should I limit them to every other day?

Also could you take like db military presses and db curls and combine them into cuban presses or should you do seperate exercises for shoulder and bi's? I'm trying to combine some exercises into one. My db military press and bicep curl maxs are the same weight so I figured I could do this to save some time.

Thanks for the advice in advance

How could anyone object to you wanting to correct a known deficiency? If you know your weak points then change but unless it changes recruitment you are only adding a new exercise that has to be "learned" by the nervous system.

Combining movements, sure why not saves time, I mean the OL uses combines movements and some of them guys are pretty big. But they've been practiving those movements for some time so they are way passed the learning curve.

Sun-tzu san

We don't do approvals on HST dude! We give advice, and will state whether we think it is good or bad, the power of choice is all yours :)

Go with Dan's advice, tackling what you know needs addressing is like doing a necessary improvement so it will always be the right thing to do!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]is it ok to do situps (b/w only) everyday or should I limit them to every other day?

Situps everyday should not be a problem, but just go easy on volume and see if it is not interfering with your routine, I have made this mistake myself of using the australian abs routine before each and every workout and it did interfere with the w/o. So to cut it short if your abs routine is small and neat do it everyday, if not rather use it on off days!
tounge.gif

From what I have picked up, changing to exercises that increase the stretch will be a good change, kind of like changing from standing d/b curls to seated incline d/b curls.
butbut.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Aug. 18 2005,10:50)]Hardrock,
Cons, neural learning, less coincidental strength. These stongly relate to hypertrophy.
Pros, may work (if plane of motion is different) on different targets in same muscle group, relieves boredom. These do not strongly correlate to hypertrophy.
Thanks dkm. I take this to mean I would be better off keeping the same exercises for consecutive cycles. The reason I brought this up is that I was thinking about using POF. But, I don't quite know how to incorporate all three points of flexion into an HST routine without changing and adding exercises and having to develop a monster of a workout with too many sets. Any suggestions?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sun-Tzu @ Aug. 18 2005,5:49)]I was thinking of changing my exercises on my next cycle to do what I like to call my "corrective cycle". I noticed some serious imbalances that I would like to target for a cycle. Any objections? I still plan on keeping the core movements, squat, dead lifts, bench, etc but adding things like plate drags, prone rows, crunches, etc to strengthen whats falling behind. Also if I'm just trying to strengthen my abs and not get them bigger is ok to do situps (b/w only) everyday or should I limit them to every other day?
Also could you take like db military presses and db curls and combine them into cuban presses or should you do seperate exercises for shoulder and bi's? I'm trying to combine some exercises into one. My db military press and bicep curl maxs are the same weight so I figured I could do this to save some time.
Thanks for the advice in advance
i would say do abs whenever and however.
doing them everyday,multiple sets to failure obviously is too much, would hamper your gains and your regular workouts.
so just do them whenever you have time/energy i guess.

the curl/military press you describe is not a Cuban Press.
Cuban Press is http://abcbodybuilding.com/exercise3/cubanrotations.htm
just adding a press when you get to the top.
you cant use very much weight for these.

doing a curl immediatly followed by a shoulder press, it seems to me, would take the load off of the biceps while pressing and off of the shoulders while curling.this would lessen the stress on each muslce and i would think that it would be counterproductive to growth since your main concern with form is getting as much ROM as possible while still keeping the targeted muscle activated and flexed (under the load)throughout the entire movement and not giving it a break in tension.
the curl+press might be a better motion for strentgh or power but i dont think it would give you as much mass as performing each exercise seperatly.

but if your biceps and shoulders are lightyears ahead of the rest of you then you can do it just because you can use a lot of weight and it looks cool.
:D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hardrock @ Aug. 19 2005,9:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Aug. 18 2005,10:50)]Hardrock,
Thanks dkm. I take this to mean I would be better off keeping the same exercises for consecutive cycles. The reason I brought this up is that I was thinking about using POF. But, I don't quite know how to incorporate all three points of flexion into an HST routine without changing and adding exercises and having to develop a monster of a workout with too many sets. Any suggestions?
I really like POF/X rep

Read the Customizing thread by Jules over in General Training, he has some good input there on POF

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fausto @ Aug. 19 2005,1:11)]Sun-tzu san
We don't do approvals on HST dude! We give advice, and will state whether we think it is good or bad, the power of choice is all yours :)

It's definitely good advice. I really appreciate the support you guys give.

shaywm,
Yeah I noticed it wasnt the Cuban after I posted that, but I was thinking of something like that. I forgot the name, but you are probably right about it not causing enough constant stress on the muscle. I was hoping to cut my routine down a little while still hitting the same muscles. I'm a really small guy 5'11". I just hit 160lbs after finishing my first HST routine. I started at 143lbs

thats some pretty awesome gains you made
worship.gif

i went from 120 to 180 in i guess about two years on other routines, until i got injured now im back to 150 (doing HST as soon as i heal)
and lucky for you that you started out with the best routine possible (that i have found)while most others had to cut through all the crap (Arnold's Encyclopedia, HIT etc) before getting here. :D
keep up the training

Back