Pullups question

_Simon_

hey guys!
if someone can only do say, 2 pullups in a row, how would one incorporate that into a hst cycle???

any suggestions? thanks everyone!

Simon

you couldnt really,maybe you would have to do lat pulldowns(if doing lats) until the reps drop low enough that you are able to do pull ups.

you need to practice,they come on quite quickly.

hi!
nah, but my friend (who i'm askin this for) doesn't have a lat pulldown apparaaaatus, can only do pulls, and works out at home!

I had a friend that got this elastic band type thing that one side would be wrapped around the bar and he basically would kneel down in the other side and it would help him up.

Not sure where to get them or if he made it himself.
I can ask.

ONE way: you could begin to incorporate them into your cycle by doing negatives(lowering portion) only for the duration of the cycle . By cycles end (6-8wks typically)you should be ready to progress to regular pullups and attach weight (probably very small increments for that second cycle) , if this is a priority of yours- flat chest supported rows will have some carryover to your chins , more IMHO than standard BB rows.

ANOTHER way: Most people do quite well , by just doing pulldowns until strength is such to proceed to pullups.

smile.gif

If I had no way to do assisted pullups, I would simply do max stim => negatives if need be to keep it from taking too long.

Russ's idea of just doing the negatives sounds good.  Tell him to try doing them Max-Stim, even if the m-time is somewhat large.  Maybe have him try doing 10 total reps on the first day, and slowly increase the reps each workout until he can get 30.  Then he can start slapping on the weight and dropping the volume back down.

You can use Thera-Bands to assist your pull ups. Do a google search for Thera-Band. There are other types of bands out there as well you just need to search around the net to find them.

Another idea is to use a bar that is adjustable in height (maybe a squat rack safety pin?). You can start out low to the ground with your feet on the floor in front of you (least resistance) and as you get stronger raise the bar up a few inches so your body is a little more straight up and down (more resistance). You can gradually work up to full pull-ups this way.

What if you clustered your reps if in fact you only have a chinup bar? So - say you have a target of 10 - do as many sets as you need to (with adequate rest in between) to get to 10. That should stimulate everything that needs to be stimulated to increase strength.

The TheraBand and negatives ideas are also quite good - I just thought I'd throw this one out there.

You could do that to increase strength and it would probably increase strength quicker than doing assisted pull-ups.

But if you want to stick to the HST principles for growth then you need a way to progress the load. The Thera-Bands will allow you to do that. And you will still get stronger doing the assisted pull-ups. Probably just not as fast.

... I'm paraplegic and use a wheelchair and also workout at home w/ chin up bar. I've only done
3 cycles (8 weeks each) of HST in the last year and a half. The other time I applied strength training which helped increase volume for my pull-ups and chin-ups.

...heres my 2 cents at what you could try.

Just do a normal pull-up, keep the total reps the same for 3 workouts. Then, try to add one more rep w/o hitting failure for the next 3 workouts.

I would think that this method along with other exercises will increase strength for the chin-up. Then you could apply load progression. ** But if the pull-ups are the only exercise, it would still work but perhaps at a slower rate? --> im not sure

So I think im trying to say, focus on increasing the strength, in regards to the pull-up exercise first, and ensure correct form. Then apply load progression in that same HST cycle or the next HST cycle.

Try all of these suggestions to see what works best for the situation.

Michael B.

One thing you might have forgotten to mention, what kind of grip is your friend using? I understand pullups to be pronated grip, I'd recommend a suppinated grip (palms facing you).

That grip usually enables one to carry over more strength and therefore he should be able to do a good 5 or so at least.

Just thinking!
wow.gif

hmmm just revisting a topic here...

regarding number of pullups/chinups one can do... what would be the best FREQUENCY of training to get more pulls/chins? once, twice a week? i'd imagine twice a week would be great yeah?

ALSO, regarding negatives, RUSS stated this would be a good way to increase strength, how should one go about this? because i REALLY want to get into chins, hopefully be able to do 15 straight one day haha but 10 seems a reasonable goal atm.

how many reps/sets for negatives??? i read what someone said in another forum saying that he couldn't even do one pullup to start with, but he did negatives to increase his strength. he did as MANY pullups as he could and then did negatives. (4-5sets he did)
and now he can do 10 straight out for 4-5sets.

any suggestions? thanks heaps!
smile.gif

You might have your friend visit the Stumptuous site. It has an excellent article regarding assisted pullups.

Due to their lesser upper body strength, women often have difficulty with this exercise and Mistress Krista offers a series of helpful suggestions.

One more method. ... . ... . ... . . . .
After your grand two-pull set, kick up for a negative...a very slow one.
Rest.
Do it again.
Rest.
Do it again.

There's an article on the net somewhere about a guy training himself up to a set of 20 pull ups. He put a bar in his house, and every time he walked by it, he did as many pull ups as he could, avoiding failure. This guy could already do 10 or 12, but for a guy who can only do 1 or 2, the same might apply. Do 1 pullup three or 4 times per day, every day. After a couple weeks, do a set of pullups. If he can get 3, then he should start doing 2 pullups, 3 or 4 times per day, every day, etc.

On the other hand, I began only able to do 2 pullups, and I can now do 12 - 13. I did "reverse rows" for a while. That's where you rest a broom stick across the backs of two chairs, lie on the floor on your back, and pull yourself up. I progressed to assisted pullups, where I rested my feet on a chair. I did one or two honest pullups, then used my legs toassist in a few more reps. Slowly I got up to 5 unassisted pullups, then 10, and I'm on my way to 15 (can you say HST?)
biggrin.gif

A couple of things I forgot, eccentrics help as others have said. Weighted eccentrics for that matter. Loosing body fat helps. Heck, practicing pullups with shoes off (less weight)may be a bit of a boost for your friend!

wow that's pretty impressive your progress e^pii, i hope i can get there too ay! did you do that during a HST cycle? i'm debating WHEN i should try to improve my chinups.
and hmmm not sure about doin pullups THAT many times a day hahaha actually, it should work in the theory of adaption..... hmmm

and did you gain LBM from doing them pullups? or CAN someone gain muscle trying to improve their pull/chin strength? well according to MANY articles on the net regarding adding reps u can ay...... lol
cool.gif

Back