Pullups vs Chin ups

rattle104

What's preferable, chin ups or pull ups? What are the differences in the effect of each? I am using pullups but i've noticed most people list chin ups. Should I switch? Any insight would be helpful because I want to be doing the most effective workout possible, who doesn't?

I assume the chinups are wide-grip? The pullups I am doing are wide-grip.

Well firstly, pull ups are pronated (palms facing away from u) and wide grip & chins are supinated (palms facing towards u) and close-grip. The latter works the biceps & lats more or less equally whereas the former is much more lat dominant. I honestly can't say for certain which is better since it depends entirely on your circumstances. Pull ups, as u know are much harder so if u can do less than 5 then do chin ups. It depends on what u wanna work more really, lats or bis and on wether u have the strength to do enough pull ups. So in conclusion, they both have their advantages and drawbacks. That's all I can say..

As Quad says, becasue of the extra stretch under load, you get a better effect on the lats, thus the chin up, supinated and close grip are better for the lats, on top of it they hit the biceps pretty hard.

Because of the involvement of the biceps, most people can handle doing the chins with a fair amount of weight hanging from a belt, the amount of weight one can handle compoared to a pull ups is greater, sometimes the difference being:

Pullups - Can't handle any weight hanging
Chinups - Can at least have some weight hanging and able to perform a few reps.

I say do them both even if you focus on only one each cycle. There are benefits to each. I would also include the neutral-grip variation which is a great alternative and seems to be kinder on your tendon insertions due to a more natural arm and shoulder position in full extension. Personally, I find that supinated chins using a straight bar are quite uncomfortable in full extension so I tend to do neutral or pronated grip chins even though I have to use less weight.

<div>
(Lol @ Apr. 23 2008,7:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I say do them both even if you focus on only one each cycle. There are benefits to each. I would also include the neutral-grip variation which is a great alternative and seems to be kinder on your tendon insertions due to a more natural arm and shoulder position in full extension.</div>
Yup, due to my shoulder difficulties, I am only allowed to do neutral grim chins.

But, yeah, I can hang some extra weights with the neutral grip chin that I couldn't with the pronated pull-ups.
smile.gif

We're all different. I can do reps w/ 100lbs on pullups, but not with chins. Neutral I tried once; very uncomfortable to me.

I can't do wide grip, because my joint on the right side is a little funny and grinds a bit, almost feels like it will pop out as well.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I can't do wide grip, because my joint on the right side is a little funny and grinds a bit, almost feels like it will pop out as well. </div>

That settles it then, it ends up being close grip chins, they're better for you IMO anyway and that is what you should stick you considering the popping and whatever else!
wink.gif

ive always gone for wide where lats are concerned, but quad brings up a valid point about narrow grip having more rom.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">ive always gone for wide where lats are concerned, but quad brings up a valid point about narrow grip having more rom.</div>
Besides, I believe most people would be able to use a much greater load with narrow grip chins (I know I do). Granted, much of this is due to biceps involvement, but still...

Back