Pulsing

I know this must already be in the forum somewhere but I cannot find it.

Could someone tell me what is meant by pulsing ?

or point me to the existing thread ?
thumbs-up.gif

From Vicious' "Pimp My HST" (page 13 in v 1.0, sections 3.1.3 & 3.1.4):

"Pulsing are essentially partials with very short ROM (like 1-3 inches.) Pulsing with peak contraction exercises is perhaps the most effective way to generate metabolic stress. A variation of pulsing, by hitching the myotatic reflex, exists in order to accentuate strain as well."

"Pulsing is a form of generating high metabolic stress. It involves working at the ROM near contraction."

Basically partials are used to make sure that you create enough metabolic stress while minimizing CNS fatigue.

Chthonian

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What's the purpose of causing metabolic stress?

Here's and explanation from the "Pimp my HST" E-book:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]4.1 Introduction to Metabolic Stress
Increasing metabolic work is pretty easy. If you do a short bout of HIIT cardio with a full-body exerciser, you'll induce enough metabolic stress in your legs and back. If you do 15s after your normal set, you'll induce enough metabolic stress. You also know that increasing metabolic work, partially by further activating the erk1/2 pathway, increases the muscle's metabolism, which increases mobilization of nutrients, increases glycogen and speeds protein uptake at a faster pace, improves recovery, etc. It stimulates “sarcoplasmic” hypertrophy and indirectly sarcomere hypertrophy.

Translate the above into basic language and it reads, a "smarter way to get big with the least effort and time"
laugh.gif

Hey dude, this is about it, a smarter way to get growing even when some of the basic HST rules cannot be used (negatives in this case).

I have heard this before "train smarter not harder", I guess Bryan started it and then a few smart guys joined up and, voi-la, you are getting the best at no cost, what else could a man want
thumbs-up.gif
?

Ciao, hope this helps

Fausto

i have a stupid questin about this.
when pulsing, do i let the weight down a few inches, and force it back up, and then do the same again or do i let it down a few inches, force it back up, do a full rep and then let it down a few inches etc?

Back