Push for one more set?

deli_conker

Today was day 2 of the new cycle. I did my bench press exercises somewhere in the middle of the workout. At the end of the workout, I felt like I could do one or two more sets of bench. Maybe even another set of squats.

Should I return to an exercise if I have the energy to do so even if I have already fatigued myself on it earlier in the workout? I just read somewhere that I should do lower sets on the 15's and do more as I enter the 10's and 5's. Historically I have been doing as many sets as I can realistically do (not necessarily failure, but I always complete the set).

I just do a basic HST workout where if its my 15 rep week I just do 15 and stop no matter if I can do more. Aslong as I am feeling the muscle work i am satisified.

On the 10 and 5 rep weeks on my 2nd and 3rd sets I stop as soon as my rhythm is broken. Basically as soon as I start to struggle I put it back.

I used to go back and top off some exercises, but I don't have the energy anymore during the cut. Plus, the lethal combination of deadlifts and squats gets to me.

If you're only on day 2 then you will feel like you can do more for the simple fact your working at below your 15rep max. Remember - progressive load. Theres really no need to work past a single 15rep set during the 15s.

Remember, HST is roughly 1 set 15s, 2 sets 10s and 3 sets 5s for the average joe.

Do some more reps if it feels really easy or slow it down. During 15s you are after a burn so go for that. I frequently do 25 reps at the start of 15s but make sure I avoid failure.

Back