pyruvate

Jon Stark

the verdict on pyruvate used to be that it was a bust.  but the reason seemed to be that it was too expensive to take the required doses -- not that it didn't work.

now it is cheap though.  kilosports and beyond a century have bulk pyruvate powder.  (bac has creatine pyruvate, which is interesting.)

anyone try this stuff?  any results?

here's a snippet from http://musclemonthly.com/article....ess.htm

Benefits of Calcium Pyruvate

Hi Chris,

My personal trainer recommended that I supplement with calcium pyruvate to help increase muscle gains and fat loss. Since she sells the stuff herself, I’m a little bit suspicious. What’s your opinion on this product?

Pyruvate occurs naturally in every cell in the body and represents one of the end products of glycolysis, the process by which sugars and starches are metabolized. Of great interest to active individuals, pyruvate supplementation has been found to aid in the transport of glucose into muscle cells. Maximizing this transport process could theoretically increase endurance while, simultaneously augmenting fat loss and muscle gain. Scientists at the

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine have demonstrated that dietary supplementation with pyruvate in obese individuals increases fat loss by up to

48%. In fact, some studies indicate that the benefits of pyruvate supplementation could encompass everything from fat loss, muscle gain, enhanced performance, reduced cholesterol and improved cardiac function, to stimulating the immune system and fighting candidiasis, MS, and diabetes.

Research has also demonstrated that pyruvate has the ability to counter histamine, and therefore could prove therapeutic to those suffering from allergies, asthma, or respiratory disease. Unfortunately, the quantities of pyruvate found in food sources are inadequate to optimize its beneficial effects. Until recently, manufacturers have found it difficult to produce a stable form of the substance. Pyruvic acid is now combined with a calcium salt to yield calcium pyruvate, which is stable, but not terribly affordable in quantities necessary to induce fat loss. Though most manufacturers’ recommend supplementing with 3-5 grams per day, test subjects consumed about six to ten times this amount to yield the desired changes in body composition, quantities, which may be prohibitively expensive to consume on a daily basis.

> fine guys, i'll take the plunge myself. ordered a kilo of
> calcium pyruvate. let you know how it goes.

Jon, I didn't know you were thinking about actually trying that stuff ... Because pyruvate is intermediate product during glycolysis (which is one of the most prevalent chemical pathways in the body), I didn't see how extra intake of pyruvate would help one's body -- won't it be just like taking extra carb??

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jon Stark @ Aug. 21 2002,1:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">fine guys, i'll take the plunge myself.  ordered a kilo of calcium pyruvate.  let you know how it goes.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Well, anyone using Avant Labs' Leptigen at moderate to full dosing is taking a reasonable amount of pyruvate. But both due to the fact that Par Deus has given the vague figure of 3g-20g in the full dosing, and the fact that it contains a number of other ingredients it's impossible to isolate the effects of the pyruvate. I'm using it myself, and it does seem to be working--at least to a degree.

yeah blood&amp;iron, noticed that it's in leptigen, though i don't really know what par deus thinks its function is.

virtualcyber, i hope it's not just extra carb.  in fact i was under the impression it is one of a number of substances that purportedly steer glucose to muscle cells rather than fat.

seems to have empirical support in the literature.
http://content.intramedicine.com/dse....&amp;mtyp=4

guess we'll see...

this is the interesting study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez....bstract

almost twice as much fat loss in the treatment group.

of course, these are untrained, underfed fat chicks. whether it's of any benefit to trained, protein-scarfing guys-who-can-only-train-the-right-side-of-their-upper-bodies-due-to-dumb-injury (aka me) remains to be determined.

That is interesting. I wonder if there is competing chemical pathway against lipolysis when you burn glucose rather than pyruvic acid ...

I was hoping on r-ala to do what you described ... perhaps I should be looking at pyruvic acid.

Pyruvate is certainly not yummy.

Don't want to say too much on how I think it works, though obviously I think it has something to do with leptin.

Hey, who cares how it tastes, we are he-men, the fittest, the meanest, and the most motivated and health oriented freakoids, the ones with great bod's that women lust after, ones who are so into low bf that we'd go on the harshest diet that mere mortals would just cry thinking about ...  We ARE BODY BUILDERS!!!  
tounge.gif

I sure hope pyruvate comes in strawberry flavor.

i used to believe the same thing, but then i tried to gag down a protein drink with like 10g of added cla powder in it. then i realized i had my limits!

my gf is vietnamese, and they use rice paper in their cooking. i keep thinking i could use the stuff to make mega-caps (20g+) of the worst-tasting powders. faster than those self-capping &quot;machines&quot;.

(just an indication of how warped i am.)

btw, if some clown tries this and chokes to death on a ribose spring-roll or something, i am not responsible!

just got my pyruvate. ok, it doesn't taste good. but it doesn't taste that bad either. nowhere near cla-bad. it has sort of a dairy/creamy initial taste followed by a bitter aftertaste.

in fact, i think virtualcyber's joke about strawberry is actually a good idea. in chocolate this stuff would taste bad. vanilla, i dunno. but strawberry *could* mask it pretty well.

will update as to whether my flavor theory is correct, and more importantly about whether i notice any fat loss.

Sorry -- yeah, I tried it once. A single 10g dose.

I learned a few things.

1. My strawberry theory was so wrong. (See above. Next time I'll try lemon or something.)
2. A single dose that large makes me nauseated.
3. I need to figure out a better method of delivery if I'm going to make use of all this pyruvate.

I might have to break down and get a &quot;000&quot; size cap filler for this stuff.

I will use it, eventually, and I will let you know how it goes. Promise. I just need to figure out how I can handle it better.

Back