Quads are huring

mport1

I'm in the middle of my 10s on a 6x a week full body program. I'm finding the weights
pretty difficult right now, but especially for leg exercises involving my quads.
I have already had to drop my maxes down for leg presses and deadlifts, but I'm
still pretty sore every day wich makes it difficult to do the exercises. What should
I do to fix this? Should I alternate deads and leg presses every other day so I'm
only doing one of those exercises a day? Should I just do 3 times a week on leg
presses because that is where it really hurts?

Here are my exercises:
Dumbell Press
Machine Rows
Lat Pulldowns
Shoulder Press
Deadlifts
Leg Press
Leg Curls
Calf Raises
Short hiit session on a bike.

It's probably the HIIT on the bike (Sigh, what's with HIIT being done on bikes . . .) that's causing the soreness. Especially if you like to do stimulated "hill training" on a bike, that would do it.

Keep the leg press down to 3x-a-week. If you still have problems, lower the HIIT frequency or switch to steady state cardio.

cheers,
Jules

I really don't like HIIT on bikes, because bikes put way too emphasis on quads in order to elevate heart rate. That's fine with steady state, but with HIIT, you have to dry-hump the pedals in order to generate the appropriate intensity. Real HIIT really ought to be done with a full-body exercises (ladder climber/cross-country skier/row machine), or by a true full-body movement like sprinting or swimming.

This causes problems with HST's system, because it bumps up RBE and could hurt your functional performance. I think it's acceptable to start short sessions of bike HIIT during 10s, but I think mport1 is dealing with functional issues since he is doing it everyday.

cheers,
Jules

i use the stepper machine + bike mostly.. i find it hard to do HIIT on the elyptical trainer cause the hand bars are linked to the foot ones so u have to pump like a crazy mofo and u look slightly insane.

Do you really think the rowing machine is good for HIIT ... hmm i must try that...

I will alternate row machine with stepper i think..
But im only gonna do HIIT the next couple weeks as im trying to cut down the fat first... then do HST for the first time with excess cals.

how long would u suggest i do HIIT for ? some say 20 mins some say 45 ?

When i do the HST with bulking do you think i should keep doing the HIIT or would that be eating into cals too much for bulking or would it help to reduce fat buildup :confused:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you really think the rowing machine is good for HIIT ... hmm i must try that...

Actually, I'm not sure. I haven't used a rowing machine in years. I use a Versaclimber for cardio.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]how long would u suggest i do HIIT for ? some say 20 mins some say 45 ?

Beyond 20 minutes, you're better off just doing steady-state. It's easier on the nerves. The truth is, fat-burning is more about what equipment you choose than what style you use. For example, a bike burn rate is on average about 500-800 calories/HR. At peak, you may hit 1000. The Versaclimber starts at 800, and it's relatively easy to sprint your way into the 1200 cal/hr level. The difference is the level of percieved effort is much lower on full-body exercisers, which in turn causes a less catabolic response (i.e. less neural drive = less cortisol) from your body.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When i do the HST with bulking do you think i should keep doing the HIIT or would that be eating into cals too much for bulking or would it help to reduce fat buildup

If you add in the burn sets, just 5-10 minutes of HIIT or 20-30 minutes steady state (this is my practical experience speaking here) can help significantly for setting up a clean bulk. But, the most important thing is to structure the bulking diet properly. I feel the least expensive way to bulking is a high protein bulk with carbs judiciously timed during the 4 hour post-WO window. And to eat less on rest days.

cheers,
Jules

cheers,
Jules

Are you saying that on average, 10 minutes of HIIT is the equivalent of 30 minutes of submax steady state?
I was under the impression that steady state was the best way to go as far as fat loss was concerned, although I keep seeing everyone mentioning HIIT.

Not so much fat loss per se, but kicking up the nutrient partitioning effect, specifically glycogen supercompensation. That in turn enables a cleaner bulk.

cheers,
Jules

is a versaclimber a step machine ?

im guessing not as u say its whole body.. i dont have one of those in my gym..

Gimme a run down of the best cardio machines for HIIT if you would be so kind mr v :)

Basically, you just want to find a machine that can get your heart rate up with as little "percieved effort" as possible. Usually this means a machine that recruits most of your major muscle groups.

The Versaclimber emulates ladder climbing, in other words, you're stepping with your legs and pulling with your arms. It resembles a "T", and so I call it the "Crucifix." The beauty of the Versaclimber is that you don't have to exert that much effort on it, and then suddenly the evil thing is killing you.

Seriously, I wish I could give every one of you a Versaclimber just to have you experience this wonderful torture. I give with love. ;) But, I know there's various machines on the market that emulate the same motion. I'm preternaturally biased toward this style of full-motion cardio, but I imagine skiing and rowing are both pretty good too.

cheers,
Jules

That reminds me of the burpee exercise... Where you jump up high, land down in a full deep squat, place hands on the floor, launch the feet out so you're in pushup position, do a pushup, launch back in to the initial squat position and repeat the process.
That stuff absolutely KILLS me, yet as far as muscular effort is concerned, it's not all that much. Then again, my VO2max is close to that of stroke patients, so go figure.

Back